XXVIII

Listen while you read:
John Luttrell - Wandering

_______________________________

They drove all night and some of the morning until they were entering Atlanta, Georgia. They stopped by an abandoned gas station to fill up their cars while some of them used the rest room.

Lauren was outside sitting atop the trunk of their car as she watched the leaves blow past her. Ian then walked up to the raven haired woman, snapping her away from her thoughts.

"I think you should let Dinah or Normani drive the rest. You look like you're about to knock out right now." Ian said leaning against the car.

"I'm about to knock you out." Lauren said nonchalantly.

"Now I know you're tired." Ian said rasing his eyebrows. "You usually give me meaner threats."

"I don't like you so much, I just tolerate you because we drink together and I like the company of drinking with someone." Lauren admitted dryly.

"Well at least there's that one factor that lets us bond in some way."

"You can't blame me, Ian. You attacked Calum, who was as frustrated as you were. I know you've come around to believe I didn't give Michael to the followers, but I'm still having trouble trusting you around my girls."

"I'm fine. I promise. That was just a small snap, but now that I know it has to do with what's left over of the FoL mind manipulation, I think I can handle it now."

Lauren studied the man's features to see if he was telling the truth. She looked into his green eyes that no longer carried the attitude and annoying humor, but seen that he was genuine.

"How do you think they brain washed you?" Lauren asked.

"No idea. They never did any secret room type of stuff or anything special like that. I mean, they held meetings every other month to take about the good we were doing and that did make us all feel a bit better about doing what we did."

"Maybe it was that. Maybe they held those meetings every other month to keep you all reminded about what you do and why you do it. I bet that's how they kept you all in check." Lauren said nodding her head.

Soon the pair are met up with Lucy and Camila who happily skipped hand in hand with one another. Lauren knows she shouldn't be feeling jealousy upon seeing that, but in the moment she couldn't help, but clench her jaw in irritation.

"What's up with you two?" Ian asked confused. Lauren couldn't be more grateful for his presence.

"Just happy. These past few days have been nice." Lucy replied.

"Well stop. The bright ray of your happiness is actually annoying."

"What's got you so uptight today?"

"In all honesty I'm nervous." The green eyed man admitted.

"How come?" Camila asked with concern.

"Because Lauren's group is gonna leave soon and we'll be alone again. Anything could happen if they're gone."

Lauren turned to look at the man standing next to her and could see the general worry in his expression. He toyed with his hands nervously as he looked at the ground. It was then that the Floridian actually felt somewhat bad for him.

"We'll be fine. Lauren taught us everything we need to know." Lucy said.

Lauren smiled and nodded her head, "I sure did."