Chapter 7

Thank goodness, it was finally Wednesday. The suspense would end one way or the other. Chloe was glad the week was half over. Jill and the other students were surprised and sad to learn that she was leaving but they soon got distracted with what was on for the following weekend. She heard grumblings about another show featuring the Stick Shift Lips.

Jill asked Chloe to join her for one last blowout. She politely declined, remembering that Ashton had mentioned he had a show Saturday night. Chloe smiled to herself, wondering what Jill would say if she knew she would be going shopping, of all things, with Ashton Wright, this very night.

Looking at her watch, Chloe figured 4 pm was a good time to make her way over to Ashton's house. As she walked, she felt her nervousness return even more so then the first time she approached his front door. Would he have changed his mind? She knocked and held her breath for what felt like forever. Had he forgotten? Oh no, what if he had changed his mind?

Just as she was about to turn away, the door finally opened. Ashton greeted her with a scowl on his face and a cell phone in hand. With an impatient wave, he welcomed her in. He stepped out on the porch as she entered the house, the screen door slamming shut behind her.

He did not look happy, she thought to herself. She felt her heart sink. What could this mean? It wasn't the greeting she had hoped for. She could hear his muffled voice through the door. She couldn't make out the words but there was definite frustration in his tone.

She made her way into the living room and sat in front of the fireplace trying not to freak out.

A moment later, he came in, shutting the door behind him and slamming the phone down on the side table. He stomped upstairs and she could hear him pacing up in his room. Chloe sat up on the couch, clutching her arms around her knees, unsure of herself. She contemplated leaving but she was too nervous to move.

She next heard his footsteps as he descended the stairs. He stopped at the bottom of the steps, took a deep breath and walked over and sat down in the armchair across from her. She avoided looking at his face, not knowing what to expect. He just sat there, breathing deeply.

Cautiously, she gazed at him. Relieved that he wasn't looking directly at her, just off into some distant place, she took a much-needed breath. His face was like stone, his lips pursed tight, his jaw tense, eyes fierce. The house was dark now, the only light coming from the glow of the fireplace. The shadows of the flames danced on his face and intensified the anger beneath its surface. Maybe it would be better if she just left. This didn't feel right. She started to get up with every intention of leaving.

"Hey, wait. Don't leave!" he said, jumping out of his chair. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to... I was just... Oh, I am so sorry." He took her hand and sat next to her on the couch. He gave her arm a gentle tug and she sat back down. "Please don't go."

She glanced at him with hesitation. "Have you changed your mind?" she asked nervously.

He gazed at her, confused for a second. "About what?"

Chloe shifted in her seat and looked away. "About me, coming to work for you?" She held her breath and waited for his answer.

"No, of course not. I just... ugh... let's just say I'm having some creative differences with one of my clients. You just happened to walk in at the wrong moment," he explained while holding her hand in both of his in an effort to calm himself. "I hope I haven't caused you to change your mind. Please forgive my behavior." He gave her fingers a gentle squeeze.

"Oh no, I haven't changed my mind. Actually, I've already given my notice and I've been told to vacate my room this weekend, so really, I'm quite committed right now." Chloe studied his face and smiled with relief when his expression softened into one of solace.