Chapter 45

Chloe woke up first the next morning. Carefully, she slid from under Ashton's arms and stood up. Gathering her clothes, she tiptoed downstairs to her room. She wanted to get an early start. With all the events of the last couple of days, her household duties had taken a back seat. She didn't want to let things slide too long.

She took a quick shower and got dressed. Stepping into the kitchen, she put the coffee on. While that was going, she tidied up the living room.

Rubbing her tender midsection, she felt the all too familiar discomfort that accompanied her monthly period, which had inconveniently greeted her that morning. She decided to get the laundry started so she swiftly went upstairs and quietly gathered up Ashton's things and took them downstairs. While the washer was filling up, she stood, smiling. Smiling for no other reason than pure joy. By the time she went back upstairs, she was positively giddy. She stepped back into her room and made up her bed from the other night. She wondered about that for a minute. The last few nights, they'd slept together in whatever bed they were nearest. She wondered if things would change.

Lost in thought, she jumped when she felt Ashton wrap his arms around her waist from behind. "Hey, you're up," she said, leaning her head back on his shoulder.

"Well, I woke up and you were gone. So I came looking," he said, holding her close, seductively kissing her neck.

"Okay, big boy settle down. I thought I'd get some things done while you slept because that's the only time I don't have you chasing after me."

"Oh, really? You weren't complaining last night." He continued kissing her.

"No, you're right and I'm not complaining now." She stroked his cheek. "But I do have things to do." She squirmed as he kissed her.

"What could be more important than this?" Leaning in closer, he held her firmly by the hips.

"Okay, stop!" Chloe said, reluctantly resisting him. "Please, I need a day off. A few days, actually."

Ashton relaxed his hold on her and turned her to face him. "I'm sorry, I should have realized... Is everything okay? Are you okay?" He thoughtfully searched her eyes. "Was I too rough?" he asked, his voice cracking.

"Of course not. I'm fine." Chloe took his face in her hands. "It's nothing like that, you beautiful man. It's just that time of the month, you know. Bad timing, I guess," she said, averting her eyes.

"Yes, of course. Good, that I can handle." He sighed, relieved it hadn't been anything he'd done. "Here lie down. Take it easy," he said, guiding her down onto her bed.

"No, I'm fine. Besides, I have things to do, silly." She smiled at his concern. "You'll just have to be patient that's all for the next few days."

"Come on, Chloe, I think I'll survive." He laughed. "Anyway, that's not all it's about," he said, kissing her forehead. "We can still hang out, do other things. Spend time together, go to the movies, restaurants. Yeah, I'd like that," he said, caressing her arms. "What do you think? Will you let me show you off to the rest of the world?"

"Sounds like a lot of fun. Just let me finish a few things around the house and we'll go out, okay?" she said, grinning ear to ear.

"All right, but don't take all day. I didn't take two weeks off to watch you do laundry," he teased.

"I know, I'm sorry but mother nature always wins," Chloe said, wincing.

"Don't be ridiculous, Chloe. I love you, sweet girl. I just want to spend some time with you, that's all. Now, get to work so we can get out of here." He gave her behind a playful slap.