Chapter 55

Hesitantly following Ashton down the stairs, Chloe braced herself for the inevitable comments to come. Sure enough, Jamie was right there cracking them off one after another. "Look, boys, I think he's finally let her up for air," he teased. "Seriously, man, give it a rest. Yikes, Chloe can you still walk after all that?"

Hiding her face behind Ashton's back as she turned all shades of crimson, Chloe waited for him to finish. "Back off, Jamie," Ashton said calmly. "The jokes are getting old."

Peeking out from behind Ashton, Chloe smiled tentatively at Nick and Chris, sitting out on the deck.

"The funny thing is, it's hard to say who screamed the loudest this time." Jamie chuckled, unable to resist one last jab.

"Go on, Chloe, get your breakfast," Ashton said, leading her by the hand. "Never mind him, you know he's just jealous."

"No kidding, show off," Jamie said, walking away while shaking his head.

Helping themselves to whatever was left from breakfast, Chloe and Ashton sat exchanging secret smiles with each other, playing footsie under the table. "Love you..." he whispered.

"Love you too." She giggled, feeding him bits of cereal.

"Sweetness..." he said with a sigh, stroking her cheek with his fingers. His eyes said so much more right there and then. It was impossible to express with words, the emotions that overwhelmed him while looking into her big green eyes. "Forever... and always," he whispered.

"Ashton, what are you saying?" she questioned, batting her lashes at him. He winked and started to sing softly...

You fell down

From the heavens above

Right round my fingers

Just like a glove

"What's this all about?" she asked, confused.

"Nothing... never mind." He smiled pensively.

***

"Come on, man, that was pathetic," Jamie scoffed, disgusted with Nick's shot. "Where'd you learn to mini-putt anyway?"

"Hurry up, Jamie. There's another group behind us," Chloe said, leaning on Ashton, growing weary of the game.

"Hold your horses. I'm almost done," he said, sinking his ball into the hole with a satisfied swagger. "There, that's how it's done, boys."

"Great to see you're good at something," Chris said flatly.

"Piss off, man."

***

"Roller coasters?" Chloe squealed, squeezing Ashton's hand as they approached the midway.

"Come on, Chloe, you know you love roller coasters," he said, raising an eyebrow.

"You know I do," she said with a coy smile. "Don't you guys ever dress down?" Chloe teased, noticing how done up they all were, just for a day of sightseeing.

"Chloe, we have an image to live up to. It's a responsibility," Nick said, strutting by a group of hopeful admirers, standing by the concession stand.

Glancing now and then at Chris, Chloe noticed him occasionally checking his phone. She wanted more than anything to tell him that Jill was on her way, but she didn't want to ruin the surprise.

After one too many spinning rides and roller coasters, Chloe and Nick took a much-needed break, standing under the shade of an awning while the others hopped on yet another ride. Checking her watch, she figured it was getting close enough to dinner time.