Chapter 57

"Come on, Chloe. Let's go for a walk," Ashton suggested, taking her hand. "I need some alone time with my best gal."

"I'd love to!" Chloe said, slipping on her sandals. "I need to walk off some of that breakfast. Nick sure goes overboard with the food sometimes." She laughed, skipping up alongside Ashton by the waterside. "I like it out here in the mornings. It's nice and quiet, peaceful."

"Yes, it is nice and quiet," he said, absently staring off into the distance.

"I feel like we could walk for miles like this," she said, dancing around him. "In fact, I think we have. I can't even see the house from here, can you?" She glanced back from whence they came.

"No, I only see you, standing here in front of me," he said, holding both her hands in his. He gazed at her with softened eyes, blue like the skies.

She loved the way he looked with the wind in his flaxen hair, the sun on his alabaster skin, his white cotton shirt, loosely buttoned, revealing his well-defined chest.

"Always so romantic, Ashton. You're a wizard with words," she said, standing on the tips of her toes, reaching for a kiss.

Reaching around her waist, he lifted her up off her feet and kissed her smile. "I love you, sweetness." He breathed, caressing his cheek against hers.

"I love you too." She giggled at his intensity. "Hey look, how cute," she said, seeing a little white chapel just ahead of where they stood.

Reluctantly, Ashton lowered her to the ground.

"Do you think it's open?" She ran up ahead in her white summer dress. Tentatively, she climbed the small steps. "Our Lady of The Seas," she read aloud the words on the placard. "You Are Welcome."

"Does it really say that?" Ashton asked, tracing the script with his finger.

Chloe stepped inside the open door. It was a small chapel, awash in light, with half a dozen pews and a small simple altar. "Isn't it sweet?" she asked, standing up front, in a ray of sunshine.

Ashton felt his breath catch in his throat at the sight of her, the sun's ray lighting up her hair like a golden halo. "It is sweet. Very sweet," he said, reaching for her hand.

"What a special place. I'll have to come back and take some pictures," she said, leading him back outside.

"Chloe?" He hesitated at the top of the steps.

"Yes, Ashton?" she said, looking up at him. "What is it?" She smiled as he searched her eyes.

He waited and took a deep breath. Looking into her beautiful green eyes, he saw himself there forever. Holding her hand in his, he knelt down on one knee.

"Ashton... What are you..." she held her breath as the realization and gravity of what was about to happen overwhelmed her.

"Chloe, I couldn't have planned a more perfect place than this." Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out a small green velvety box. "Here, I kneel before thee. I offer you my heart forever, in the hope that you would honor me with yours. Chloe, will you marry me?"

"Marry you?" she repeated, blinking away her tears. "Yes! Yes, I will." She jumped up and down.

"Chloe?" he said with a huge smile as he stood up. "Aren't going to open the box? Check out the ring before you sign on the dotted line? Have I taught you nothing?"

"Yes, of course," she said, shaking. "You open it. Show me."

"Okay, but hold still a moment." He slowly opened the small box, revealing the sparkly diamond on a ring of gold.