Chapter 25

Chloe stepped through the arrival doors and even before she cleared the doorway, her eyes found Ashton, leaning casually up against a pillar. She felt her heart skip a beat and for a moment, she couldn't quite believe that this handsome guy was there for her. He smiled easily as she came to stand before him.

"Chloe..." Without hesitation, he picked her up in a warm embrace. "It's so nice to have you back." He sighed, gently placing her back on her feet.

"It's nice to be back, Ashton." Chloe couldn't help but blush a little. She wanted to say so much more.

"I thought we could grab some lunch before heading home. You must be hungry," Ashton said, taking her bag.

"Sounds good," Chloe agreed. Maybe by the time they reached the restaurant she will have managed to slow her heartbeat down to normal. Sitting in Ashton's car felt so good again. All doubt evaporated from her mind.

They arrived at a small Italian restaurant. The hostess seated them in a cozy corner booth. They sat quietly for a moment, reviewing the menu.

"So, how was your visit?" Ashton asked.

"It was really nice. I'm glad I got to spend some time with my mother. Although, she had a little trouble accepting the idea of my new job," she said with a nervous laugh. "But I'm sure she'll come around."

Ashton sat back and smiled, content to be with Chloe again. He'd gotten used to having her around. It was tough coming home to an empty house. "I guess I can understand why your mom would be a little skeptical about the situation," Ashton said. "It is a bit strange, isn't it?"

"A little I suppose but it works for us, right?"

"It really does, Chloe, more than you realize," he said, reaching for her hand. He held her fingers loosely, comfortably in his. The waitress came along then. They settled on splitting a pizza.

"Tell me about your gigs. How did you do?" Chloe asked.

"Actually, they went great. I really enjoyed myself for the first time in a long while. What you said the other day about the guilt crippling me, it made me realize I've let this thing hold me back way too long. Thanks, Chloe, for shining the light on that for me. I mean, I finally felt like just getting up there on stage and doing my thing. I've been in the dark for so long," Ashton said, smiling, his fingers intertwined in hers.

Chloe smiled at his newfound passion for performing. "So actually, I've helped keep the band together. That's refreshing." She laughed. "Seriously, I'm glad you're happy. It would be a shame to hide all that talent away from the world. I'm just sorry I missed seeing you. I can only imagine how amazing you must have been."

"Well, you'll have your chance soon enough. There'll be plenty more shows. But first I have to finish that song and submit it soon so I can make some real money," Ashton said, shaking his head.

The food finally came and they ate it readily. After they'd eaten as much as they could, Chloe was glad when Ashton quickly settled the bill. She was looking forward to getting home and taking a nap in her own bed after the long train ride. As they pulled into the driveway, Chloe recognized Nick's black car parked out front.

"Oh, by the way, Nick stayed over last night. He said he was too tired to drive home, but I think he just really missed you. So be warned." Ashton smirked.

"Now how did I get so lucky, two such sweet guys under one roof?" Chloe joked.

"Yeah, how about that?" Ashton said, stepping out of the car, Chloe close behind.

Chloe braced herself as Ashton opened the door to the house. She stepped eagerly inside while he followed with her bag, dropping it off in her room. She snuck into the bathroom to freshen up. Taking a deep breath, she gave herself a moment to enjoy the quiet calm.