Chapter 42

Chloe rested in bed, listening to their voices in the next room. She was glad for Nick's interruption. She couldn't take another moment of Ashton's self-righteousness. She loved him, wanted him, all of him. She also knew he was right and she loved him even more for it. That didn't mean she didn't want to rip his clothes off and she wasn't sure if she could trust herself to be alone with him any longer. She listened to their familiar voices and eventually fell asleep.

***

It was early when Chloe woke up to the sounds of footsteps upstairs. She looked over at the clock. It was five-thirty and still dark outside. She got out of bed and peeked out into the hall. Her heart dropped at the sight of Ashton's bags, packed and ready by the back door. She made her way into the bathroom, washed her face and took a calming breath.

Realizing that he must be preparing to leave, she crept up the stairs, feeling somewhat hurt that he would have left without saying goodbye. She started toward his room when she realized he was in the bathroom. The door was slightly ajar. He didn't see her at first. He stood quietly shaving in front of the mirror with only the light from the streetlamp streaming in, casting a bluish hue across the small space.

She stood in silence, wondering how it could be that she'd never seen him shave before. She found that she liked the view very much. Her eyes took in the sight of him, leaning over the small pedestal sink. He wore his jeans unbuttoned around his waist. He wore no shirt, and the subtle light bathed his alabaster skin in blue. She observed how the lean muscles of his arm flexed with the slightest of movements. Chloe's breath caught in her throat when she finally realized that he'd noticed her, and was now staring her way.

Without hesitation, she entered the bathroom and leaned up against the wall, watching him finish shaving. He smiled ever so slightly and continued his careful even strokes. When finished he splashed his face with water and dried it with the small towel around his neck.

"Were you going to leave without saying goodbye?" Chloe asked, letting her eyes drift over his smooth face and across his well-defined chest, perfectly highlighted in the dimly lit room.

His eyes softened as he leaned in close to her. Using one arm to brace himself against the wall, with the other, he touched the side of her face. His warm lips pressed softly against hers, gliding effortlessly, gently coaxing her mouth open. She felt the tip of his tongue tracing just inside her lips. Swiftly it met hers. Her heart pounded loudly in response and her hands reached for him. She moved one hand up over the flat planes of his stomach. She traced her fingers over his chest and around his neck, pulling him closer.

He pulled away for a moment, catching his breath, only to kiss her again and again ever so gently. She felt him shudder as he fought to control the fire that ripped through his veins. She pulled him closer, pressing herself against his smooth skin. She breathed him in, his intoxicating scent overwhelming her senses. His hand caressed her face as he continued his sweet assault on her lips.

Her knees felt like rubber and she came dangerously close to collapsing. He leaned into her, securing her to the wall with the full force of his body. He left her lips just long enough to reach around her legs and lift her up onto the pedestal sink. She felt herself whirling as her legs willfully wrapped themselves around his hips.

He held her tight up against his body and brought his lips down to her awaiting mouth. This time with desperate hungry thrusts of his tongue. Her lips moved feverishly in response. She called his name with unbridled desire and he growled in answer.

She smoothed her hands up and around his arms, feeling his lean muscles contract under her fingers. She pressed her lips to his chin, tracing kisses down his throat to his shoulder. She rested her cheek there, catching her breath.