Chapter 12

A while later, she awoke with Ashton whispering her name. When she opened her eyes, she nearly screamed. Apparently he'd gotten ready to go as she slept over two hours. He looked incredible, in a word freakish, standing there in a red and black, super tight t-shirt, and painfully tight white pants. He was all decked out in armbands and chains. His platinum hair was hot-ironed perfectly straight. Haphazardly applied eyeliner intensified his blue eyes.

"Hey there, Chloe, I'm heading out now," he said with a disarming smile. "I didn't mean to startle you. Shit, I must look like a freak." He assessed himself with a slight chuckle. "Did I scare you that much?"

"No... but... " she lied. "Wow, you look amazing. Strangely beautiful, actually," she exclaimed, standing up to take a better look. She caught her breath as he extended his arms in his signature scarecrow inspired pose. With eyes closed, he took a bow. Standing so close to him she realized just how incredibly tall he was. He towered over her. And he did look freakish, in a very good way. He opened his eyes and laughed, having to drop his head to see past the top of her head. Her eyes were so wide with wonder.

"What's so funny?" she asked with a slight tremble on her lip.

"Aw, I don't know, Chloe, you just look so... awestruck." He chuckled, touching a long slender finger to her bottom lip. "I must look quite nightmarish to you." He reluctantly dropped his hand and stood up straight.

"Not exactly nightmarish but well, I guess I am a little impressed. I must admit, you are quite breathtaking all done up like this." Speaking with a serious expression, she added, "It's a good thing we have this professional working relationship or else I may be tempted to jump your bones, right here, right now." She winked, hoping he would take it as a joke.

"Yeah, right." He chuckled, caught off guard, shuffling like a nervous schoolboy.

Imagine that, she thought proudly to herself, she had just made the great Ashton Wright nervous.

"Why... you're making me blush, Miss Chloe," he said in a mock southern accent. "But you know, I might just enjoy that," he added with a suggestive smile.

"Hmm..." Chloe pursed her lips and crossed her arms, feigning offense. "Don't you have somewhere to go, freak show?" She smirked, playfully shoving him on the shoulder.

Snatching her hand, he pulled her in close. Facing her away from him, he locked her arms around her waist, straitjacket style. Leaning his head against hers, he whispered, "Watch it, Miss Chloe, or I might just have to take you up on your offer."

His nearness had her tingling all over. His hot breath on her neck sent shivers throughout her entire body. Her intense reaction to him frightened her. She struggled pointlessly in an attempt to free herself.

"Oh, no! Not you too? Where's my hero, Nick, when I need him?" she joked in an attempt to diffuse the stunningly erotic sensations he awoke in her.

After a lingering moment, he released his hold and gently tossed her down on the couch, pointing his index finger at her, daring her to say another word. She laughed at his disgruntled expression. Try as he might, he couldn't help but crack a smile.

"Hey, so... are you coming to the show?" he asked, curious. He suddenly wanted nothing more than for her to be there.

"Well, I would love to but I'm just so tired and I still have so much to do here so maybe next time," she said with an apologetic smile. She really didn't feel like running into Jill and having to explain herself since she had declined her offer earlier in the week.

He looked curiously at her and cocked his head. "How can you possibly be tired?" he asked incredulously. "You were practically asleep when I picked you up this morning and you were out of it just now for at least two more hours."

Chloe pouted sweetly. "Well, yes, I do enjoy my naps. Besides, it's been a long day, Ashton. As you reminded me earlier, tomorrow I am on the clock and I want to make a good first impression. So, go on ahead and do your job and I'll do mine. By the way, what time would you like breakfast, boss?"

"That's right, you are." He nodded expectantly with a crooked smile on his handsome face. "But don't you dare wake me before noon tomorrow. I'm usually dead tired the day after a show so I may be somewhat unpleasant," he warned, raising an eyebrow. "Well, if you're sure you don't feel like coming out, I'll say goodnight."

"Sounds good. Oh, what time will you be home? Or are you hoping to hook up with one of your adoring fans tonight," she asked with a rueful smile.

He immediately cringed and looked as if he'd been slapped. "Hook up?" he repeated, offended. "That was out of line, Chloe. I wish you'd give me a little more credit!" He gave his head a shake. "I'll have you know, I have more respect for myself and my fans than you think," he said as he stiffly walked away.

"Hey, I was just joking. I didn't mean to offend you." She followed him into the kitchen. He leaned against the counter staring out the window. She reached out and touched his forearm and felt the tension in the muscles beneath her fingers. "We were having a laugh back there and I guess I went too far," she said, bowing her head, shoulders slumped. "Anyway, it's none of my business."

He stood silent for a moment longer. Lifting her chin up with his hand, he gazed deeply into her eyes. "Clearly, I can see we still have a lot to learn about each other." He gently stroked the side of her face with his thumb. "Goodnight, Chloe," he whispered, cocking his head to the side. "Don't wait up," he added as he walked out the door.

Standing there a moment longer, Chloe couldn't help feel a sudden pang of regret at not going to see him perform tonight. He would no doubt be amazing. Thinking quickly, she grabbed the phone and called Jill. Maybe it wasn't too late. Hearing Jill answer, relief spread through her. "Hey, Jill, it's Chloe. Are you still going to the show tonight? Great... yeah, I would love to go. That would be very nice of you, thanks. I'm at 143 Pine. See you in fifteen minutes."

✭༻♫༺✭༻♫༺✭༻♫༺✭

To be continued...

Did you enjoy this chapter? If you did, be kind enough to give it a star.

Hand In Glove

Copyright © 2014 by Maria Bernard. All rights reserved.

ISBN: 978-0-9731474-5-2

✭༻♫༺✭༻♫༺✭༻♫༺✭