Chapter 46

They drove a couple of hours in the opposite direction toward Chloe's mother's place. Chloe sat in nervous anticipation as the distance closed in. Finally, they pulled up in front of Rosa's house around noon. "Ready?" Ashton asked as he raised an eyebrow and smiled.

"Ready as I'll ever be," Chloe said, taking a deep breath. Looking at Ashton she could tell he was a little nervous too. He looked so handsome. He'd made an extra effort to look less rockstar today, wearing a white button-down shirt and dark pants, his hair, brushed straight and tame.

Stepping out of the car, Chloe turned to see Rosa opening the front door. "Chloe, I thought I heard a car pull up. Honey, I'm so glad to see you. It's been so long," she rambled on as she ran over and hugged her.

"Mom, I'm glad to see you too," Chloe said, enjoying the affection, momentarily forgetting Ashton, who had come around to stand beside her. Reluctantly releasing her hold on her mother, Chloe stepped back. "Mother, I'd like you to meet Ashton Wright."

Rosa looked from Chloe to Ashton. "Mr. Wright, nice to meet you," she said, tentatively shaking his hand.

"A pleasure to meet you too, Mrs. Martin," Ashton said with a slight bow of his head. "Please ma'am, call me Ashton."

Still somewhat perplexed, Rosa shrugged and turned back to Chloe. "So, Chloe, is this the important person who I am supposed to meet?" she asked, needing further clarification.

"Yes, Mom, let's step inside and I'll tell you everything," Chloe said, taking Ashton by the hand.

"Yes, of course. Please come on in. I'll make you some lunch. You must be hungry," Rosa said, reaching for the door.

Ashton smiled, seeing Chloe and her mother together. The resemblance between them was obvious right down to their height. Sensing a little tension, he breathed deeply, hoping he would make a good first impression.

"Chloe, why don't you show your friend to the living room and then come help me with lunch," Rosa suggested. It was obvious that she wanted some time alone with Chloe.

"Sure, Mom," she said, following with Ashton in tow. She led him to the living room and turned the television on for him. Giving him a encouraging smile, she went to help her mother.

When Chloe entered the kitchen, Rosa was busily making sandwiches. "What can I do to help?" Chloe asked.

"You can help by explaining yourself and your relationship with Ashton. Is he the rockstar you work for? Or is there more than just a working relationship between the two of you?" Rosa asked with an exasperated sigh.

"Yes, Mother, he is the rockstar I work for, and, yes, we have become romantically involved," Chloe said in one long breath.

"No kidding, well, anyone would've seen that coming. Did you really think moving in with him, and working under such close conditions would end up any other way?" Rosa said, shaking her head disapprovingly.

"Mom, I don't understand why you're so upset. We're in love and he's a great guy," Chloe said, trying to keep calm.

"I'm upset because I'm worried about you. They're all great guys, at first. Anyway, I'm not comfortable with you two living together. You know how I feel about that kind of thing. Besides, he's a musician. What kind of life is that for you?" Rosa said as she rushed with lunch. "How do you know if he's even serious about you?"

"Mom, I'm sorry you're so upset and I realize the living together situation is an issue but I assure you he is very serious about me. In fact, we just came from meeting his parents who are very nice people. They welcomed me with open arms. I hope you'll give him a chance," Chloe said, placing her hands on her mom's shoulders.