Chapter 23

Chloe went through her closet, struggling to find the right outfit. She had never been to one of these industry parties. Ashton hadn't really been clear about what to wear. Just to use them as a reference. But they were guys, she thought, shaking her head. How was that supposed to help her?

She finally settled on a fitted black mini-skirt, black tights, and black leather knee-high boots. She wore a red satin top with three-quarter length sleeves. It slung low, revealing her back midway. It had a scooped neckline in the front and gathered nicely at her waist. Liking the results, she spun around in the mirror and nodded with approval. She left her hair naturally wavy and tousled it loosely around her shoulders. She finished off with her makeup, choosing red lipstick to match her top.

Chloe checked her watch when she heard footsteps descend the stairs. It was six o'clock already. She opened her door just in time to catch Ashton about to knock. His eyes betrayed him as they lingered on her body, eventually coming to rest on her face. It was a strange look. Chloe couldn't quite put a finger on it. Apprehension, maybe?

He looked incredible, so dark and brooding, all in black, such a rockstar. His Stick Shift Lips graphic t-shirt, purposely torn here and there. He had on black nail polish and leather wristbands. His eyeliner was extra heavy tonight.

After a few awkward minutes of quiet observation, Chloe shrugged nervously. "Do I look okay?" she asked, still unsure of the look he'd given her.

"Okay?" He blinked, shaking his head. "Chloe, you look incredible!" He let his eyes travel over her once again. "Perfect," he said, taking her hand. Too perfect, in fact.

"Good, I wasn't sure there for a moment," she said with a smile. "So then I look good enough to be your date?"

"Good enough?" he repeated. "Let's get out of here before I change my mind."

It was a short drive to Nick's place. He and Chris lived across the hall from each other in a classic low rise building they owned. Ashton had explained that they had invested in it as a means to supplement their income. "That's smart of them," she said, impressed. Chloe noticed Jamie's van already there out front. "Does Jamie live here too?" She asked as they climbed the stairs to the second floor.

"No, he lives uptown. He rents a basement apartment in his sister's place," Ashton explained as he approached and knocked on the apartment door.

Nick answered the door all smiles and smiled even wider seeing Chloe there. "Ashton, Chloe, wow nice!" he exclaimed as he ushered them in, taking her hand as she passed him. He was especially pleased to see her. "Imagine you here, in my apartment," he said, raking his eager eyes over her. "Wow, you are gorgeous, aren't you?"

"Hi, Nick, Chris." She smiled appreciatively. She couldn't help but notice how cool they both looked, equally stunning in black body-hugging jeans and t-shirts. Right away, Chloe caught the smell of hairspray and cologne wafting heavily in the air. She giggled, realizing just how much effort went into their preening. Somewhere in another room, probably the bathroom, she heard Jamie swearing about being out of hairspray.

"Yes, she is," Ashton affirmed, sitting down on the couch next to Chris. "She's all mine, too. Chloe's my date tonight," he said, holding his hand out for her.

"Oh, really?" Nick said, hesitantly releasing his hold on her. "That's why you've agreed to come along tonight." He nodded knowingly. "You've brought your own personal human shield with you. Very smart."

"Whatever, man. I'll do what I have to do," Ashton said, taking Chloe's hand.

Before she could sit down, Nick grabbed her away again. "Come on, Chloe. Let me show you around," he said, giving Ashton a funny look as he led her away. Ashton let his hand drop and shook his head. Chris chuckled at the both of them.