Chapter 13

Tossing the laundry in the dryer, Chloe scrambled to get herself ready. Digging through her stuff, she managed to find her favorite jeans and a form-fitting white t-shirt with a plunging v-neck. While she applied her makeup, she smiled to herself, imagining Ashton putting on eyeliner.

Her heart raced as she brushed her hair. Jill would be there any minute. Racing around for her shoes, she grabbed her jacket, remembering to shove her keys in her pocket. Taking a last look around, she darted for the door just as Jill's car pulled up outside.

"Hey, Chloe, I'm so glad you called," Jill said, glancing sideways at her outfit. "Love that t-shirt. Nice bit of cleavage. It'll get you some free drinks for sure."

"Oh, is it too much?" Chloe asked, suddenly self-conscious.

"It's perfect, Chloe. We're going to have a blast!" Jill laughed at her usually demure friend.

"Oh, you bet!" Chloe giggled, putting on her seatbelt.

They arrived at the club with time to spare. "So, how's your new job?" Jill asked as they lined up. "Do you like your boss?"

"So far so good. And my boss, he's all right," Chloe said, downplaying the situation.

"He?" Jill repeated, lifting an eyebrow. "Isn't that weird? What if he turns out to be a creep or something?"

Chloe couldn't help but laugh. "Well, I guess I'll have to keep that in mind. But you might get a chance to meet him later so you can judge for yourself," she said with a sly grin.

Upon entering the club, Chloe scanned the place. It was packed. Standing room only. It was dimly lit as usual. Jill waved at a group of people in the corner. Not recognizing them, Chloe insisted Jill go ahead. "I'm just going to the restroom and then I'll find you."

Curious to see if she could get a glimpse of Ashton or one of the other guys, she glanced at the stage, but they weren't there yet.

She then made her way through the forest of people. In the restroom, she managed to squeeze through the gaggle of women, all gathered around the small mirror. The smell of strong perfume and hairspray, burning her throat.

Having taken care of business, she was glad to finally escape the beehive. She took a much-needed breath. She started back toward Jill, bumping her way through the crowd. She teetered when she tripped over a discarded plastic cup and fell crashing into Jamie Gale's arms of all people.

"Hey, baby doll," he said, catching her around the waist. "I knew you'd come around." He snickered as he reluctantly unhanded her, his eyes focused on her breasts.

"Hi, Jamie," she said, righting herself. "Have you seen Ashton?" She hoped her question might quell his leering gaze, but it didn't. She fought the urge to slap the disgusting look off his face.

"Oh, you're breaking my heart," he said, clutching his chest. "Listen, Chloe, is it? You don't need him. I'm all the man you'll ever need." He pointed to himself in a suggestive manner.

Ugh, he was so full of himself. She could just slap him, although, she had a feeling he would probably enjoy that. Never mind, she told herself. He was Ashton's friend, his bandmate, and she was going to be polite.

"I'll have to think about it." The fact that he was standing there with his arms draped around two star-struck fangirls obviously didn't stop him from trying for one more.

"Well, don't think too long. I do have other options you see." He chuckled, tightening his grip around the girls. He winked again and led them off with his overconfident swagger.

Turning away in disgust, Chloe collided right into Ashton. "Hey, how long have you been standing there?" she asked, relieved to see him.

He had a huge grin on his face. "Long enough to hear you ask for me," he said with a cheeky wink.