Chapter 36

It was raining when Chloe woke up the next morning. It was dark and blustery outside. It was the kind of day best spent in bed sleeping. She let her mind linger on the previous night. She was embarrassed by her emotional reaction. She couldn't help but wonder what was wrong with her.

She dragged herself out of bed and figured it was time to start breakfast. She could hear Ashton's footsteps on the stairs.

"Good morning, Ashton," she said, entering the kitchen. She avoided his eyes, still uneasy about last night. She methodically got the coffee started and reached for the cereal bowls.

"Hey, you," he said, taking his seat at the table.

Chloe placed a bowl in front of him before sitting down in her chair. She suddenly didn't have much of an appetite.

"Chloe?"

"Yes?" she said, playing with her food.

"I've been thinking. Actually, I've decided that we should slow things down between us." He paused. "I mean physically," he explained when she dropped her spoon. "It's just that you live here. We live here together and it's very hard not to take what's in front of you," he said, raising an eyebrow. "Don't misunderstand me, I am not changing my mind. Not at all. I'm just going to give you the space you need. No pressure. I will wait as long as it takes, I promise." He reached for her hand.

"What if you get tired of waiting?"

"Come on, Chloe. I've been waiting for over two years. I think I can manage a while longer," he said with a pained expression, giving her hand a squeeze.

"Okay, I guess you're right, thank you." She smiled up at him. "Coffee?"

"Sure, why not?" he said, releasing her hand, standing up and looking out the window. "So, what would you like to do on this cold rainy day?"

Chloe stood beside him sipping her coffee. "I don't really have any plans. How about yourself?"

"Well, I was hoping to spend the day with my girl," he said, leaning into her.

"Oh, and what would you and your girl do on a day like this?" She played along.

"We could go see a movie, go out for dinner," he suggested, resting his arm on her shoulders.

"We could do that. Maybe it'll even stop raining and we won't have to get wet."

"Yeah, maybe later. But you know what we should do first?"

"What's that?" she asked, raising an eyebrow.

"We should just go back to bed and sleep for a while," he said, leaning his head against hers.

"But we just woke up." She giggled.

"Yeah, but it's cold and dark and anyway we're still in our pajamas. So, what do you say? Your place or mine?" he said with a crooked smile, pressing his forehead against hers.

"I don't know." She blushed.

"Aw, I love that," he said, stroking her cheek. "Here, let me make the decisions today." He took her by the hand. She hesitated. Catching her apprehension, he swiftly reached around and lifted her over his shoulder. Chloe twisted and flailed but was helpless as he carried her into her room. Lowering her down on the bed, he got in beside her and pulled her close to his chest.

"Hey, what happened to slowing down?"

"Chloe, we can't go any slower. Anyway, I said sleep. Now be still and close your eyes," he whispered into her hair.

Chloe relaxed into him and felt his even breathing. He fell asleep quickly. She smiled contentedly and listened to the raindrops on the window. It was dark and cold outside but she was warm and cozy in Ashton's arms. Closing her eyes, she soon drifted off to sleep.