Chapter 41

That night, alone in their room, Chloe stood holding her breath as Ashton took her in his arms. He slow danced with her as he murmured his song in her ear. After a few moments, he lifted her up onto the edge of the bed and ran his hand under the hem of her dress, his nose buried in her chest. "Chloe, you beautiful, sweet, sexy thing. I love this dress and I love the girl," he said, giving her thigh a squeeze, his hand inching ever higher.

Chloe's knees buckled and she held on to him as he lowered himself on top of her. His hand held her firmly under her thigh. The other held her face to him as he kissed her. The moonlight danced across his handsome features, revealing the deep desire in his blue eyes. Their bodies entwined as he moved against her.

After a moment, he caught himself and pulled away. "We're going to wait. We have to wait."

"Oh, please... let's just do this." She pulled at him, arching her hips. "Why do you always have to be in control? Just let yourself go," she pleaded in frustration. "You're so controlling!"

"Patiently controlling," he said, lowering himself onto her again. "Always with you in mind, my love." He kissed her softly. "We still have a lot to talk about." He traced his finger over her pouty bottom lip. "Like I said, nothing is going to happen here."

***

After breakfast, everyone said their goodbyes. Ashton and Chloe hit the road first. She was eager to get home but sad to leave the cottage and the memories behind.

It was another sunny warm day and Chloe wore her last dress for the ride home. She was secretly enjoying the effect she was having on Ashton. This one was pink gingham and it hugged the curves of her body perfectly, falling just short of her knees.

The breeze from her open window caused the thin strap on her shoulder to keep slipping despite her efforts to fix it into place. She had tied her hair into a ponytail, revealing her smooth neck and shoulders. She fixed her eyes on the road but was completely aware of Ashton's attention, and his hand on her knee.

***

Pulling into the driveway, Chloe felt her heart race in anticipation of what might happen once inside. With a smile and a wink, he unlocked the car door. Chloe hopped out, opened the door to the house and waited for Ashton to drop their bags.

He made his way casually and continued on into the kitchen fully aware of her expectations. He leaned up against the counter with his arms crossed as she rounded the corner to stand in front of him. Glancing down at her he couldn't help but smile, seeing her there looking so lovely. The pink of her dress matching her cheeks as she stood nervously with her hands behind her back.

"So, here we are," he said. "Too bad about the timing, isn't it?" He glanced at the clock.

Her eyes followed his and she realized the implication. "Oh, right... it's Monday morning and it's half past nine," she said with a sigh, glumly looking downwards.

"Yeah, and I've got songs to write and clients to call," he said, raising an eyebrow. "You know what a stickler I am for rules."

Chloe bit her lip in an effort to restrain her emotions, hoping to hide her disappointment. She wished he would leave before she lost it but he just continued staring at her. "Okay, then I guess I'll just... " her voice trailed off, not knowing what to say or what to do with herself.

Ashton smiled at the sound of her shaky voice. Unfolding his arms, he reached out and pulled her into him. "You guess, you'll just what?" he said, chuckling. "Do laundry, vacuum, dust?" He laughed, lifting her up and carrying her into her room.