The Company

I hit the ground. Hard. Landing on my hands and knees. My hands scuffed against hard rock and wet... snow? Where was I?

     I pushed up, balancing on my knees, dark rocks surrounded me and a black sky hovered above. I looked around, confused, my buzz addling my mind. A small man was up against a ledge of some rocks, staring at me, dumbfounded. He had curly brown hair and really large, hairy feet. Strange, no shoes. He was wearing odd clothes too. A red coat with a vest underneath and pants that definitely weren't jeans. He looked like someone from a renaissance fair.

     He sat there just staring at me. I wanted to ask him where I was and why he was dressed so funny, but a loud growl interrupted me. We both whipped around, him hiding behind a rock trying to get a good look. I could see perfectly. A huge bear was standing on a ledge overlooking the mountains.

     Mountain, haha, that's funny. I was on a mountain. The man looked at me like I was crazy, but then took my hand and pulled me down the rocky terrain.

     I followed him, too tired to care. We rounded a boulder and skittered down a path, where a group of hairy, strange men were standing about.

     "How close is the pack?" One of them asked. This one was better looking, with long brown hair, blue eyes and a sturdy, hero face.

     "Too close. Couple of leagues, no more." The man who had my hand replied, his voice was soft, I decided I liked it.

     "Who is this?!" The scary bald one said, pointing a huge axe at me, I almost giggled at the strangeness.

     I was pulled into the middle of the group, where the man let go of my hand.

     "I don't know. But I didn't want to leave her up there alone."

     "We do not have room for any more company." The good looking one said.

     "Yes, but that's not the worst of it."

     "They've picked up our scent?" The bald one said.

     "Not yet." Curly was terribly out of breath. "But they will. But we have another problem."

     "Did they see you?" A very tall man with a pointy hat eyed me suspiciously. "They saw you!"

    "No, no that's not it."

    "What did I tell you, quiet as a mouse."

     "Will you listen-Will you just listen! I am trying to tell you there is something else out there." Curly got upset and I giggled, he looked funny angry. The hairy men stared at me warily.

     "What form did it take? Like a bear?" That was Pointy.

     "Y-yes. Yes, yes but bigger, much bigger."

     "I don't like bears, too big of teeth. I think we should go." I slurred. They pointedly ignored me. As if I cared.

     "You knew of this beast?" This man had a funky hat with a funky beard to match, with a funky voice.

     Pointy gave a look then turned around. I took Curly's hand again, it was soft and care-worn, and swung his arm back and forth back and forth. He looked at me like I was a silly puppy. The hairy men started discussing what to do, but Pointy spoke again. "There is a house, not far from here where we might take refuge."

      "Who's house? Are they friend or foe?"

     "Neither, he will help us, or he will kill us."

     "What choice do we have?" Suddenly a loud roar echoed over us, very close.

      "None."

      Yay! We meet the group, and Aeolus is hopelessly drunk, lol. Pointy is Gandalf, The good looking one is Thorin, Curly is obviously Bilbo, Scary one is Dwalin, and the funny looking one is Bofur. I was slowly losing energy while writing this so it didn't turn out as well as I hoped, but I hope you liked it.