Beorn's Home

I was pulled once more. So much running it made my feet ache and legs strain. The sun had come out and stabbed my eyes, tears running, my head feeling like it was boiling, but they didn't let me slow down.

    We ran through streams and across meadows. I definitely threw up at one point. We stumbled through another forest, or I thought it was, everything was a blur of green and brown, leaves and bark. A loud roar bellowed around us again, a small clearing appearing and I saw a little patch of trees ahead. I pointed at it and looked to Curly, who looked far too scared for my liking. I don't know why, running wasn't scary. Pointy urged us further and I lolled my head back at the huge doorway we passed under, then looked forward to see a house we were headed for. I heard another roar and looked behind us.

     The huge bear I saw on the mountain burst from the forest charging at us. Suddenly my buzz was gone as my brain linked the noise we were hearing with the animal, realization and a large dose of fear slammed into me. I was hurled into a group of bodies as the men shoved against the largest wooden door I had ever seen, struggling to get it open. The good looking one ran over and pushed up on a metal latch and the door swung open with no resistance. We swarmed inside as the huge beast beared down on us. I stumbled back as the men fought to shove the door closed, catching the beasts massive face as it tried to wrestle its way in. It only lasted a few terrifying seconds as it was finally heaved shut and they dropped the latch, locking it out.

     "What is that thing?" One of the men said.

     "That... is our host." The tall man answered. We all looked at him, stunned. "His name is Beorn, and he is a skin changer."

     Numb, I took in the strange men. Strange indeed, they were dressed in thick jackets, big boots and the hair. They were covered in it and I wouldn't have doubted if they had never shaved a day in their life. Rugged woodmen, I was with rugged woodmen. Just where was I? I gazed around at the building we took shelter in. It was twice the size of a normal house, with animal stalls at one end and living space at the other. I had so many questions, but my head was pulsing to the point where it didn't matter. I walked over to the stalls, admiring the horses. One bowed his head and I pet it feeling like a child.

     I zoned back in to the man who had been talking. "-ever he is not over fond of dwarves."

     I froze. Did I hear that right? Dwarves? It would explain their... well, everything. A ren-fair, that's what this had to be. But the bear? The horse went back to whatever it was doing and I slumped down in front of the fencing, suddenly tired. Was I dreaming?

     One of the dwarf-men caught me and stomped over to me. He was the one I considered good looking, but he looked as if he had a grudge against the world. "You." He said to me in a deep baritone voice. "You have gotten off so far, but now we need answers." His words were getting slow, his face blurry. The pounding in my head getting so bad that I could barely hear him. "What were you doing on the mountain? Who are yo..."

    I didn't hear him anymore. The booze and running, added with the fear, had left me exhausted. And I slipped into unconsciousness, my last thought wondering if I would wake up.

So this is a short one just to fill in the gaps. I promise it gets good.