Drowning

My throat was on fire, my eyes stung, and when my feet hit the bottom I pushed up with what strength I could muster. I gasped air, choked out water and swung my arms to swim. Something hard hit my hand and I clenched the barrel, pulling myself over it as waves rocked under me. My body was shoved off more than once and each time it was a struggle to pull myself back up. Thinking as fast as I could and trying to move faster than that, I crawled sideways into the barrel, pushing it to face upwards and tried to scoop out as much water as possible. The river was violent and harsh, shoving me around like a carnival ride with such force I thought the wood would burst. Finally I stopped drowning and coughed at the water in my lungs.

     I wasn't excited to be finally leaving, I was terrified. I could die, I could really die here.

    I clenched the side of the barrel, my knuckles white and stinging against the wood. I held tight as I was thrashed around, shoved and slammed and barraged with waves. And I couldn't do anything to fight it.

     Something popped up in the distance, a bridgeway and I saw guards standing on it. I ducked down into the barrel, cramming myself into the bottom, burying my body chin deep in the water I couldn't scoop out. I didn't know why I was hiding, why I didn't want to be caught. But by the time I changed my mind I looked up as the helmets with shocked faces underneath passed over me, then an archway, then clear sky and mist. And I knew I was out.

Despair hit me as another wave did. I was alone, in a very dangerous place I knew nothing about.

Just a quicky, but it gives me a chance to add this.

I even found a gif!

Also, a little mind twisting

How does Thorin and his company have their money to pay Bard, and the key, when they were stripped of their outer clothes and items and were clearly searched? I don't think the elves would leave the dwarves money and a mysterious key with their captives. Unless they were hiding it somewhere the elves wouldn't dare search, lol.