The Library

"So what is there to do around here?"

Elyaas was brushing my hair this time, not as gently as Taeauna did it, but it wasnt as rough as I was frightened of.

"I do not believe I understand what you mean." Taeauna ruffled through the dresses and put the pajamas I left on the floor in a neat pile. They didn't seem to be in a bad mood, and I hoped they had gotten over whatever they were arguing about before.

"Finished." Elyaas's voice caught me off guard, I still wasn't used to hearing her talk. I wanted to discuss a change in clothing, like less dresses, but was starting to enjoy them, plus I didn't want to press any buttons.

"You know, when you have time off what do you do?" They didn't answer, so I had to think about little things that people I knew used to do. It was difficult since there was no electronics here. "Ummm... like drawing... reading! Do you have a library?" I was a fan of books, and reading was a good way to waste time.

"Of course. Our history is too long for us to simply remember it."

"Great, let's go!"

They looked at me oddly, and Taeauna opened up the closet. "Perhaps, Aeolus, you should get dressed first."

Right, naked. "Yes, clothes are important."

***^_^***

"Its... gorgeous."

I wanted to remember the way there, but I kept having to fix my hair when it decided to fall into my face. They chose to fancy my hair up this time and I chose a simple dress, but they wanted to add a necklace and belt.

 They chose to fancy my hair up this time and I chose a simple dress, but they wanted to add a necklace and belt

The library wasn't grand or oversized, well a little, but simple and elegant. Much like all of the furniture seemed to be, with exception to Thranduil's throne. The room was a large oval, on the right were the bookshelves and the left great windows that stretched to the ceiling, dwarfing the elves that skimmed the shelves and lounged about. Some tables were set in the middle of the room, the elves there looking like scholars intensely studying, while others draped themselves across the lavishly large cushioned areas. In the seats next to the windows or just wandering the room, reading. There was not much talking but silence and respect for other readers.

"May I help you?"

A male elf was standing but not a few feet away, wearing a dark blue robe and had chestnut hair. His face was more worn than the others I had met so he must have been older. His eyes, though, were entrancing. A murky grey with silver flecks. Dull like metal but all-knowing.

 Dull like metal but all-knowing

"Oh! S-sorry. My name's Aeolus." I had to restrain myself from holding out my hand. Instead I gave a head bow.

"Yes, I am aware. We have rare guests and your presence has not gone unnoticed." A reference to my boldness as well as my hair no doubt. "I am Istedir." He gave a head bow and a gentle smile. "May I be of any assistance to you, Colfindes?"

Again with that name? I was stumped by the name-title?- and Taeauna spoke up before I could ask him about it. "We will be taking our leave now my lady, Istedir will do good watching over you."

Apparently they couldn't call me by my name in public. "I'm not a child." I remarked.

Elyaas made the choking noise that a person makes when trying to hold back a laugh and Taeauna raised an eyebrow at me before they both turned and left through the large archway.

"They seem very fond of you." I couldn't believe their attitude, but Istedir had a fatherly look in his eyes, which confused me. He didn't seem as if he was related to them. His silver eyes looked at me. "I am glad you are comfortable here."

"Thank you, but it is more like trying to be a good guest. Now, getting to the subject of books..." I wanted to drop the subject but he apparently didn't share that thought.

"Nevertheless let us hope you do not try another deathly escape again." I didn't see why he would think I would want to, but he let the subject go, for now. "What subject are you looking for?"

"Something on history."

He gave me a patient and kind smile, reminding me of Balin. "Do you know of what Era, or race?"

"Well, not of what time period, if that is what you mean. But since I am staying here something about elves would be useful."

"Then we can start at the very beginning."

He glided up the steps to the second level, and I followed. "Not to sound foolish, but how far back do your books- on the history of elves I mean- go?"

The elves lounging nearby snickered, and Istedir had a small smile as well. "There is no foolish question if knowledge is gained from it. I do not believe you know how long we have lived."

"No, I don't. That's why I want to learn."

"How much do you know of Middle Earth?"

"Nothing. Other than that there are dwarves, huge wolfs, goblins... Hobbits, I believe is what Bilbo was called. And elves, of course."

He didn't speak for a while, "Perhaps it would be better if I read the books to you, so I could answer any questions you may have."

"That would be very generous, but I wouldn't want to take up your time." I just didn't want to look like a complete idiot.

"In fact I believe my king would appreciate us helping you to learn about our culture." I couldn't think of a reason why not, with the image of Thranduil in my mind distracting me. "Why don't you take a seat at the table and I will bring the first of the books."

First? "Would you like some help carrying them?" It was the only thing I could think of. He nodded and I followed him around the shelves.

"Now, elves go all the way back to when Arda was first created."

"Arda?"

He looked at me for a moment, and I think he finally realized how much he would have to teach me. "It is the name of the land we live on."

"So your planet? Or your continent?" I wanted to test their range of what they knew, like how people used to think of the world as flat or that there was only one continent.

He gave me a questioning look, "I can show you a map of Middle Earth once we have the books we need." He placed three books in my arms and continued down the shelves. I shimmied my head, trying to move the long strands of hair out of the way, they were getting caught in the books and I was already regretting the style.

"How long, exactly, have elves been around?"

"Since the beginning. It was our great ancestor Eru Iluvatar who created our world."

I wanted to scoff, but we had our nut jobs about God. It didn't surprise me that elves would have their own god. "I take it he created the elves as well."

"No, and yes." Ah, philosophy. "He created the Aniur, who in turn created us through the Great Music."

"Right..." I could already tell this was going to be difficult. Three more books were put on my arms before we strolled to an open table and I (attempting to be quiet) dropped the stack on the top. "So, you might have to be very patient with me. Names are tough, but history and magic is tougher."

Istedir gave another small smile, "Do not worry. You are not my first student."

"True, but I'll probably be your toughest."

We'll be seeing Istedir a lot. I had to do so much research on their history it hurts my brain. But I have been working on this quite a bit. I had the drawing for quite a while using it to fuel my ambition.