What To Do Now

For the walk back I was in a stupor. Thranduil walked next to me, just us. No guards or watchman. I was so terrified I just stared at the ground and followed his feet to make sure I was going the right way.

     "I take it we will be walking in silence for the way back."

    I swear to god I jumped, but that should be expected by now.  My mouth gaped like a fish for a while unable to reply. "Is there something you want me to talk about?"

     He chuckled, the noise giving me goosebumps. "Perhaps whether you are enjoying your stay here."

     "I have no reason to complain." I paused for a moment, then decided to take a chance. "This may be rash, but you use the word perhaps too much."

     "Do I? And this bothers you?" The smugness was back, but this time I didn't mind it.

     "It's just a habit I picked up on."

     "And what else have you 'picked up' on?"

     I shrugged, reveling in flirting with him. "That you enjoy asking lots of questions."

     "Only concerning you."

      "And just how many questions do you think you have for me?"

    "I do not think I would ever have a shortage."

    I couldn't speak for a moment, stunned by him. "Well, what is an easy question that I can answer?"

     He didn't speak for a moment, but all traces of humor were gone. "Are you fond of the dresses?"

     I wanted to laugh, but he was kind enough to choose an easy question, so I held all back but a small smile. "Yes, they are beautiful."

     "Only when worn." His smile was full of softness and his eyes shined like stars. I had to look away, and did what I did best, respond with humor.

     "I suppose they do make it harder for one to run away."

     "You wish to leave?" A flicker of emotion I couldn't read crossed his face, but it was gone instantly.

     "No. I have no reason to." I knew he didn't believe me, but who knew how he would react. Then again, I didn't want him to think I was closed off. "I wish to discover this world, learn about it and its people. The way they live and grow." Longing suddenly filled me, an excitement I hadn't felt since I was a child.

     "You seem to have endless curiosity." A glumness was in his voice, he didn't want me leaving. The idea warmed me, but...

     "I have come to realize that you do not like to travel or meddle with anything outside of your kingdom. But this world..." I gazed up at the behemoth trees, listening to the critters as they bounded along the forest floor. The wind rustling my hair and the smell of springtime and crispness, feeling the sun heat my cheeks flickering through the few openings the leaves allowed, the forest unwilling to let anything enter through its branches. "..It calls to me."

     It was a moment before he spoke, thinking hard. "If I were to show you this world, would you be willing to share some of yours?"

    I had to hold down my excitement, but I replied too quickly leaking my eagerness. "Yes." He gave a slow sure nod, but even I could see that he felt he had lost. Wrapping my hands gently around his forearm, and looking down at me his mouth open, his eyes a little wide filled with happy surprise.

 Wrapping my hands gently around his forearm, and looking down at me his mouth open, his eyes a little wide filled with happy surprise