History

Istedir was very patient indeed. He explained the beginning of the world, and if they thought that the elves were the ones who created the world it didn't suprise me why the dwarves hated them so much. Although, strange enough, apparently an elf, Aule I think his name was, created the dwarves.

     Istedir explained the Ainur, Eru's first beings created, and how they made the world through song. That was the part I found most fascinating. Music had always been magical to me back at home and as a child I grew to want to be as beautiful a singer as an angel. After all four years of choir in middle school and four more in high school the awards and practice never brought me anything. I would still sing every now and then, it brought me comfort and peace. Learning that music was power here only made me love it more, and for the first time in a long while I was proud.

     After Istedir explained to me the 'story of creation' I'll call it for now, he laid down a map on the table, we had finally gotten through the first three books, and I was utterly surprised at how much they knew about their world despite their low advances.

     I pointed to the continent labeled Middle Earth

     I pointed to the continent labeled Middle Earth. "This is where we are?" Istedir didn't answer, because obviously it wasn't a real question. Trailing my fingers along the continent to the left. "Aman... What is this place?" It had only a few landmarks, and only one city. Two Trees made up the top most section of the continent.

    Istedir looked with fondness in his eyes. "Aman is where all elves one day wish to sail to. It is a home for all immortals."

    "You have been there?"

    "No... it is too far out of our reach to travel between. Before, in the First Age, many could travel back and forth. Now, when we elves go there, we do not come back. Very few have been to Aman and returned."

     So they haven't mastered travel yet either. I trailed my fingers to the continent below Middle Earth. It had no markings of any kind, no cities or landmarks. "And this place? Hyarmonar...?"

     His eyes turned cold. "That is the land separated from Middle Earth, when Melkor betrayed the Ainur. No one dwells there, and there is no one who travels there unless looking for death."

     "Right.. I take it these are elvish names as well. What do they mean?"

     "Aman is The Undying Lands with Valinor as its main city. And Hyarmonar is the Dark Lands."

     "Well that makes sense." I thought for a moment, I had no intention to leave the world, but knowing how I got here only made me more determined. Elves are immortal and their knowledge scans generations. If anyone could figure it out it would be them. If all elves travel to Aman, then the greatest minds would be there. But since sailing there is out of the question, the elves in Middle Earth are the only option. "You say there are very few elves who have traveled to Aman and returned? I imagine the ones who have are very powerful. Are there any of those elves left?"

     He looked suspiously at me, but answered nonetheless. "Lady Galadriel of Lorien is the most powerful of us. She is the only one who has seen the light of the two trees."

     "Right, the Two Trees that were destroyed by Melkor and then became the sun and the moon, right?" I was excited I was finally starting to understand this. I grabbed my pack and shifted through the mess, I carried it with me everywhere now, and found my mechanical pencil. "Is it alright if I write on the map?" The look he gave me was a nicer form of 'hell no' and I didn't blame him, they couldn't exactly make a copy anytime they wanted. "Right."

     I grabbed a piece of parchment and laid it down on top of the map, weighing the corners with books

     I grabbed a piece of parchment and laid it down on top of the map, weighing the corners with books. I did a quick sketch, tracing the outline and the major landmarks. "Where is Lorien?" Hesitantly, Istedir pointed to a small wooden area southwest of the vastness of Mirkwood. I circled the area as well as the main mountains of where the kingdom of Mirkwood lies. Stepping back I looked over the crudely drawn map. "Is there any way I could meet her? Galadriel, I mean."

    "Thranduil does not travel often."

    "I could go without him, I don't exactly need him lurking over my shoulder."

     "You should not insult him so. My king has been very gracious to you. He does not give out generosity lightly." He scolded me like I was a child taking advantage.

     "That I know." His solitary lifestyle was getting in the way of what I needed. "I don't mean to insult him, and I am grateful." I hesitated. "You don't think he would allow me to see her?"

     "You would have to ask him yourself."

     "I was afraid you would say that." I muttered. My hands already started to sweat.

So much elf knowledge!