Chapter Three: Dr. Keller

The principal of our school, Mr Blair had heard about the fight. He checks on Brad and asks him what happened. Brad explained he could remember getting into a fight, but couldn't remember with who, or exactly what had happened. The school nurse tells him Brad has a slight concussion but thinks he'll be fine.

Mr. Blair walks back to his office and closes the door. Sitting down at his computer he logs into the school security camera feed. It takes only a few minutes to pull up the video.

He watches Kyle and Brad while turning a corner, bumping into each other.   Brad shoves Kyle up against the wall, punches him, and lets him fall to the floor.

Mr. Blair shakes his head smiling.  Kyle never could get the upper hand against Brad.

As he continues watching his smile fades, replaced by astonishment. He backs the video up, and plays it again.  Kyle throws his hand out at Brad, not touching him, and sends him flying through the air landing several feet down the hall. Stunned, he continues to watch as Kyle gets up, checks on Brad and runs away.  He replays it several times before making a copy of it and decides to erase the video from the security hard drive. 

No one else needs to see this; except maybe.

He reaches over, picks up his cell phone and calls a number. In an office building in another city a man answers. "Dr. Keller."

"Hello Dr. Keller. My name is Paul Blair. I hope you remember me. We met last year at the homeland security conference in Nashville."

Dr Keller thinks for a moment.  "Oh yes, I believe I do. We had an interesting conversation on parapsychology as I recall."

"Yes.  That's correct. You gave me your card and asked me to call you if I ever saw anything I couldn't explain."  Blair looks at the disk in his hand. "I believe I have something you will be very interested in."

Dr. Keller leans back smiling. "I'm intrigued. Please, tell me what you've found."

Mr Blair puts the disk back into his computer and types on his keyboard.  "If you don't mind sir check your e-mail."

Dr Keller does as he's told and pulls up the video.  As he watches he quickly sits up in his chair.

"I see. You do have my attention," he admitted. Keller watches the video again. "When did this incident occur?"

"Today, before school let out for the summer."

"How many witnesses were there?"

"None.  The hallway was empty except for the two on video."

Dr Keller replays it again.  "What does the other boy remember?"

"Nothing if he's telling the truth and I believe he is.  Our nurse says he has a mild concussion." 

"Who else has seen this video if I may ask?"

"No one but me.  I've made just the one copy and I've already erased the video from the school security hard drive."

"Listen to me carefully Mr. Blair, this has just become a matter of homeland security.  Don't let anyone see that video and keep it with you in your office.  I'll have an associate of mine from our Huntsville office up to see you in less than two hours to pick it up and do a complete erasure of the security hard drive for that period of time.  My security specialist are very thorough at what they do.  I can't stress how important this is that you cooperate fully in this matter.  Do you understand?"

"Yes sir I do, but," he hesitates. "I've known the boy all his life.  Do you really think he's that dangerous?"

"At this point, I agree he's probably not but no one else needs to know about this."

"I understand sir, and I'll be here waiting."

"Very good.  Now I have one more question.  What is, this boy's name."

Before they hang up, Dr Keller requests all information the school has on Kyle Richards. Once the fax is received, he turns to his computer, pulls up a new program and enters a password. Opening up a file he scrolls down to the bottom and begins typing. "Case #101 Kyle Richards."

He enters all information he has and attaches the video. He studies it for a few minutes, and as he then closes the file the main directory comes up. He notices another file with the same last name. File #23, William Richards. He leans back, smiles to himself and remembers.

A few hours later at Mell's Diner...

Walking inside I see the place is packed.  I notice Sheila waving at me, so I go over and sit down.  "Kyle, are you alright? I heard Brad had gotten into a fight and the first person I thought of was you." 

"Thanks.  I hope no one else puts it together."

She leans in close. "I heard he has a concussion."

Great, just great.

"Well, what happened?"

"I lost control is what happened." I hesitate for a second. "We bumped into each other, he punched me," I glance around and continue, "and threw him several feet down the hall."

"You didn't!"

"Yeah I did. I'm lucky no one else was around."

"You better be."

We sit silently for a moment as it plays over in my mind.

"You really knocked him back that far just by using your thoughts?" Sheila asks.

"Yes I did, but I didn't mean to. It just happened."

Sheila raises up and stares at the diner entrance.  "Oh no."  Seeing her expression I turn to look as well and find Brad just inside the door.  He sees me, has a confused look on his face and runs back out. Turning back around I begin to get nervous.

"It looks like he remembers something," I say.

Suddenly the table starts to vibrate and the salt and pepper shakers fall over. Sheila looks at the table and then turns to me. Grabbing my hands she looks me in the eyes. "Breathe Kyle.  Calm down.  Don't lose control."

A few deep breaths later, and with Sheila's help, the table stops shaking. After I've calmed down I look around to see if anyone noticed and of all people I see Cassie.  She's sitting at a booth with her two friends staring at me. "This just isn't my day," I say.

Sheila waves at her.  "Hi Cassie," and jarred the table with her knee. "Oh, that hurt. Why do I keep doing that?"

Cassie just squints her eyes at us as I turn back around.

"Don't worry about her.  No one believes anything she says."  She leans toward me.  "You have got to learn to control this or someone really will get hurt."

I nod in agreement.  I was lucky today. It was the last day of school and except for Cassie, no one saw a thing, or so I thought...