Chapter Seven: It Begins...

I stand at the door and watch the black SUV drive away...

Turning around, I see my Mom looking at me.  I go over and sit down beside her, "Mom, I don't have a good feeling about this."

"I'm sure it's just your nerves.  This is a big step for you," she takes my hand. "I really think this would be what your Father would've wanted.  I know he would be so proud of you Son."

My Dad had been killed when I was five and my Mother had raised me since then by herself.  I could tell she really wanted me to think hard about this. 

"Think about it Mom. How did I get picked for this scholarship?  My grades simply aren't that good.  Something doesn't feel right."

"Honey, I honestly don't know, but he's here with an incredible offer," she reaches up to my face. "Please promise me you'll at least think about it."

I get up, and walk back to the door.  I want to tell her about Maxwell and his warning, but to do that would reveal my secret.

She stands up, and walks over to me placing her hand on my shoulder, "Sleep on it.  Then we'll see what you think in the morning.  If you still don't want to go, you don't have to," I turn back to her, "But I think you'll be passing up a good opportunity." 

I sigh and give her a hug, "I Love you Mom."

"I love you too Son," She looks concerned. "You've been acting differently the last couple of weeks.  Is there something you want to talk about?" 

Looking at her I want so badly to tell her everything...  "No, I'm alright."

She lifts my chin up gently, "Are you sure?" 

"Yeah Mom, I'm sure..."

"Well...  I can tell when you don't want to talk, so just remember I'm here when you're ready.  Now go on and try to get some sleep."  I turn and start walking toward my room. "Kyle."  I turn back to her, "No matter what you decide, or what life brings your way, always remember that I'm proud of you and the man that you've become." She smiles, "Goodnight Son."

Standing at the hallway I watch as she closes and locks the front door.  It's hard just thinking about leaving her alone.  But after tonight, one way or the other, I have a feeling things are going to change...

Going inside my room I sit on my bed and take a deep breath just trying to think.  I look over at a picture of my Mom, hold out my hand and it levitates over to me. 

"I wish I could be honest with you and tell you everything, show you what I can do. But I'm afraid of what you would think," I shake my head. "Cassie's video will probably take care of that before long anyway..."

Levitating the picture back over to my desk I lie back on my bed, not bothering to get undressed. I begin thinking about everything that's happened...  I think about the girl I saved, her parents, and the video. I think about Dr. Keller and what he offered, and about Sarah and Mr. Maxwell and they're warning.  Who was telling the truth?  Who do I trust? 

An hour later I'm still awake trying to decide what to do.  Suddenly, I hear my Mother scream, and a loud noise...

I jump up and rush down the hall stopping at her bedroom door.  I see a man standing over her with his back to me and he has a gun in his hand...  I scream, "NO!"

I sling my hand out throwing him against the bedroom wall.  As I hold him there I see what he's done... Rage fills me... and increases my power.  I hear his ribs break as he screams out in pain and drops his gun.  I swing my arm and he crashes through the window...

Running over to the bed I look down at her. She has blood pouring out of her chest.  Fear fills her eyes as a tear falls down her cheek.  She reaches up and I take her hand, "I love you... my Son." She says and smiles for just a second and I watch as her life slowly begins to fade away...

"Mom!  No... Please don't leave me!" Tears fills my eyes as her hand falls out of mine...  Her eyes are staring up toward the ceiling as she takes her last breath... The realization of what's happened hits me and I drop to my knees and scream... The whole house begins to violently shake... Suddenly, the rest of the windows and the doors explode outward, pieces of wood and glass flying in all directions.

After a moment, I manage to stagger to my feet.  I feel a sting in the side of my neck and pull out a needle.  Turning I see another man in the doorway pointing a gun at me.  I grit my teeth and throw out my hand and he's thrown into the kitchen crashing into the table and cabinets.  I start to take a couple of steps toward him and begin to feel light-headed... I try to take another... and everything turns to darkness...

Moments later a white van and the SUV pull up in front of the house and several men get out. Some of my neighbors have heard the commotion and have came outside to see what's going on. The men go over to them and tell them they are federal agents and order them to go back inside. Afraid of what's going on, they all do as they're told.

Four of the men walk inside the house and find me on the floor.  One of the men (Dr. Keller) looks down and smiles, "We have him."  Pleased with himself, he turns to his men. "Secure him in the van and leave no traces. We need to leave immediately."  The men do as they are told and put the body of their dead colleague (who I threw out the window) back inside the house. They remove his gun, ID and set the house on fire.

Sarah has been waiting outside my house for the lights to go off.  Standing in the shadows, she hears and sees everything. With tears in her eyes she watches helplessly as they carry me out to the van and set fire to my house.  She calls 911 and anonymously reports the fire. Then she watches as they get in their vehicles and drive away...