Chapter Twenty Six: Say Goodbye

One month later...

I've come back to Greenville to say goodbye to my Mother. With everything that's happened, I haven't had time to grieve. I still can't believe that she's really gone. At times it seems like a waking nightmare that won't end.

Speaking of bad dreams, every night since things have calmed down I've had nightmares about the night she was taken from me. So, with Sarah by my side I've come back to Tennessee, so maybe I can find some peace and closure.

Turning the last curve I drive up to my old house. It's still standing and has yellow tape around it. Sarah and I get out of the car and walk around to the back. As we do I look in the windows and see everything is ruined. Easing under the tape we enter through the broken down back door.

The first room we come to is my bedroom.  Looking around I find the picture of my Mom lying on the floor and with my thoughts I lift it into my hand.  The edges are burned, but I can still see her face.

Except for my memories this is all I have left.

I pull it out of the frame and take it with me. Turning, I walk to the doorway of my Mother's room and force myself to look inside.  Everything has been turned to ashes. I see flashes in my mind, remembering...  I can't stand the thought of what Keller and his men did here.

As I close my eyes tears begin to fall. "With all that I can do... I still couldn't save you," I whisper.

Sarah comes up behind me and puts her hand on my shoulder. "Kyle, stop torturing yourself," she looks around the room too. "Come on.  Let's go back to the car."

I nod and we walk back outside to the front yard. As we're walking, I see a few of my neighbors have noticed my arrival and have come outside.  Stoping in the grass, I glance at each one.  Some of them were my mom's friends and have known me since I was a child but now they look at me with fear in their eyes.

Sarah notices me tensing up. "Easy Kyle," she whispers but it's too late.

"Where were you the night we were attacked?  They killed my Mother for God's sake!" I shout.  My voice filled with anger.  They stop approaching and continue their glare. 

I'll give them something to stare at. 

Turning around, I face the ruins of my house.  Thinking about that night... my anger builds, and as my eyes turn black I lift my hand toward the charred shell of what was.

Within seconds the house begins to shake violently and after looking at it for a moment, I slowly close my hand...

The house groans as if it's in pain as it slowly crumbles and collapses in on itself.  After it's fallen, I turn and see that everyone has backed away; their eyes filled with terror.

Staring back at them my eyes slowly fade to normal.  As we begin walking toward the car they scatter back to their houses. Sarah and I get in and as we drive away I don't look back...

We drive until we reach the edge of town and pull onto a gravel road.  After parking the car I ask Sarah to give me a minute. Getting out I walk up a small hill into a grassy field.  It only takes a moment to find what I'm looking for. As a cool gentle breeze blows I look down at the granite stone.  It reads William Richards on one side and Christine Richards on the other. 

After a couple of minutes, Sarah walks up, and hands me three roses.  We remain silent for a moment before I let go of them and levitate two of them on my Mother's grave and one rose on my Father's. 

"My Dad and certainly my Mom didn't deserve what happened to them." After a brief pause, I turn to Sarah, "She would've loved you."  Sarah smiles, takes my hand and rests her head on my shoulder.

I turn back to my Mother's grave and my voice cracks. "I never told you about what I can do.  I regret that now," tears begin falling freely. "I'm so sorry mom, and I miss you so much." After a moment I wipe the tears from my eyes and take one last look.  "Goodbye..."  I whisper as we turn and slowly walk away.

As we head down the hill I see an older looking man standing next to a tree not far from my car. I tense up a little as we approach.  Maxwell warned me against coming back here, but this was something I had to do.  As we get closer he steps forward blocking our path.  I pull Sarah behind me and I use my thoughts to form a wall between this stranger and us and prepare for a fight.

"Hello Kyle," he says.

How did he know my name?

"I'm sorry, do I know you?"

He smiles and looks over at a large limb lying on the ground. As it levitates into the air he turns back to me. "Yes Son...  you do."

Shocked at his words I let my guard down.  No... it can't be.

He smiles and with a motion of his hand the limb is flung toward us.  Realizing what I've done I grab Sarah and dive for the ground.  The limb flies over us and crashes into a tombstone.

My adrenaline spikes and I quickly get up throwing out both hands.  Our attacker is hit hard and thrown through the air landing several yards back into the field.

I grab Sarah's hand, "Let's go!" I shout and we run toward the car.  Firing it up I spin us around and head toward the road.  Glancing in the mirror I see him stand and brush himself off.  Hitting the pavement we slide sideways as I floor it. The V8 in my Challenger puts distance between us quickly. Sarah watches out the back window for a moment to make sure we're not followed before turning to me. 

"Kyle, who was that?"

"I'm not sure." Staring down the road I consider what he said and what he did. 

This simply can't be happening...

Could this man really be who Kyle suspects...