Chapter Eighteen: Betrayed

After dark and I'm sitting at my cabin on the front porch when Sarah walks up. She sits down and looks concerned.

"How are you holding up?"

I sigh and turn to her, "I really don't know. I'm torn between accepting everyone's help, going along with the plan risking everything, and all you have worked so hard for... or calling the whole thing off."

Sarah knows that I'm very confused... hurting and puts her arm around me.

I turn to her, "I can't stand the thought of taking a chance of losing you."

She looks at me and I continue, "But I can't just let Sheila sit in a cell because of me either. They killed my Mother because they thought she knew about me... So I know what they'll do to her...  What do I do? How do I handle this?" 

"You know I'm here for you.  What can I do?"

I think for a moment. "Use your ability and check on Sheila to see if she is OK and is still in the same room. Then, look for the device. See how many there are and make a note of their locations."

She takes my hand, "Anything for you.."

She closes her eyes and begins to concentrate. I watch her as she sits quiet and still.  After about five minutes she snaps out of it, "She's still in the same room and she's OK. I can only see three devices. I'll tell Beth where they are so she can mark them on the maps."

I squeeze her hand, "Thank you."

As I'm thinking about everything Sarah has told me, I turn and notice Tracey sneaking around the computer building. I stand as she turns the corner.

"Where are you going?"

I motion for her to keep quiet and to follow me. We follow Tracey to the back of the property where the practice area is located. She pulls out her phone and dials a number. We're close enough to listen and can hear someone answer.

"Dr. Keller, I have the information you requested.  So far their plan is..."

Rage flies all over me. I throw out my hand and Tracey is thrown through the air and hits the fifty five gallon drums. She's lying on the ground, not moving.  We run down to where she had been standing. Looking down at the phone, it levitates into my hand..

I can hear Dr Keller on the line,  "Hello? Hello? Tracey, are you there?"

Hearing his voice makes me furious.  I look at Sarah and levitate the phone several feet into the air. As Keller continues to speak, I stare at it and it explodes...

We hear movement and turn to see Tracey. She's slowly getting up to face us.

"She looks pissed, But... I... Am ...Too..." I say gritting my teeth.

Tracey stares at me and I can see rage on her face. She holds her arms out away from her sides, palms facing outward and fire appears in both hands.

"My God Kyle... Look at her. I've never seen a Pyro that powerful."

"Run, and get help." I say not taking my eyes off her.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" I shout.

I'm trying to keep her focused on me, but it doesn't work. Tracey throws her hand out toward Sarah and a flame leaps out toward her. I throw out my hand, and using my thoughts I stop the flames like it hits a wall and Sarah escapes...

Tracey slowly turns back to me... an evil smile is on her face...

"Why are you doing this?  You're one of us.  Why are you fighting against your own kind?"

"Why? Because Keller has ordered me to. All of you deserve to die!  She laughs, "By the way, the look on your friends face was priceless when I stuck the needle into her neck."

Her words make me furious...  But before I can do anything she suddenly throws both hands toward me and two streaks of fire leap forward. I raise both hands as the fire gets to me and it stops about a foot in front of my hands. My anger has made me stronger.  At this distance the wall I put up holds easily. 

Frustrated, she stops the flames. A scream of fury fills the air as she runs toward me. With my thoughts I stop her and raise my hand lifting her several feet into the air.

As I'm holding her there, she screams again and throws more flames down toward me. Holding her with one hand, I block the flames with the other. She concentrates harder and I begin to feel the heat from the flames.

Throwing her several yards away she lands against the old black car. As I take a few seconds to recover, she stands up and starts to stagger toward me. I can see that even her eyes are glowing red. 

"I have to end this. If she gets past me she will kill everyone."

I stand facing her as she slowly walks toward me. Closing my eyes for a few seconds I see the image in my mind of Tracey's betrayal of my friend.  I feel the energy building up inside of me. It feels more powerful than I've ever felt...

Opening my eyes I see she's about thirty yards from me. She screams and throws flames at me again. I raise my left hand, and block them. As the fire continues to hit the wall I've put up, I notice what's behind her and I have an idea. Raising my right hand, I point it past her.

She brings her other hand up throwing another stream of flame at me. I don't want to take another life, so I give her one more chance, "Tracey, don't make me do this!" But it's no use... She just laughs and begins to concentrate harder.

I can feel the heat again, much hotter than before. The force of the flames begins to push me and my feet slides on the gravel. As I stare at her I can barely see through the wall of fire.

Concentrating as hard as I can on what's behind her, I give it all I've got. I tremble as I slowly lift my right hand, and slowly pull it toward me. Blood starts to drip from my nose as I grit my teeth hanging on to my anger.  I feel intense heat from the flames hitting my hands. Slowly, I begin to feel my strength start to weaken as I stop my right hand. Tracey screams again and I'm hit harder with fire...

"I've got no choice..."  I think... and drop my right hand...

Tracey looks up and screams in terror...  as she's crushed by the black car...

An hour later...

I wake up in bed with another IV in my arm. This time Sarah, Maxwell, John, and Karen are at the foot of my bed looking at me.

Maxwell is the first to speak, "Welcome back... again... You're trying to make a habit out of this aren't you?"

I grin and nod. Sarah quickly steps to my side and kisses me... crying and laughing at the same time.

Maxwell grins, "Let's give them a few minutes."  Everyone but Sarah leaves the room.

She's still looking at me crying, "I thought I lost you."

I smile at her, "Never." She laughs, wiping away her tears...

She tells me they arrived on the hill overlooking the training area as I shouted, "Tracey, don't make me do this." From that point, they had seen it all.

While I was holding off the flames, I lifted the black car levitating it twenty feet into the air. Then I brought the car over her head, and dropped it... crushing her.

I look up at Sarah and remember Tracy's scream, "I... I killed her..."

Sarah shakes her head, "You had no choice.  She was trying to kill you. She betrayed Sheila. She betrayed us all. If you hadn't stopped her she would've killed all of us."

I take her hand, "I know, but there had to be another way..."

Kyle's first major test of his will, and his power...   What do you think...