Chapter Twenty Two: Sheila's Rescue Attempt

Getting out of the truck I grab my gear and put on a bulletproof vest. Placing my backpack on I head out, slowly easing around the fence to the east side gate. 

There's a semi approaching so I lay in the ditch as it pulls up to the gate.  Sneaking around to the back of the truck, I crawl underneath, and grab hold.  The guard checks the driver and the lock on the back doors.  Then he goes to the guard shack and opens the gate and we go inside...

Maxwell and his team pull up to the west side of the fence and everyone is looking for me.  "Does anyone see him," he asks. They all say no.  He curses under his breath and turns to Sarah to ask her to use her ability, but she already is...

The semi pulls around to the back of the building where the dock is.  Before he gets in position to backup, I roll out from under the trailer and head for a regular door beside the large dock doors.

As I run, looking up I see a camera pointed at the entrances.  With my thoughts I force the camera up.  Reaching the door I try to open it and It's locked of course.  I begin concentrating on the lock.  It suddenly occurs to me that I've never tried to unlock a door before.  It doesn't work... "So much for stealth."

As I'm about to use my thoughts to crush the lock my earpiece activates. 

"Kyle can you hear me?" It's Maxwell.

"Go ahead." 

"Sarah has you in sight.  Hold for three seconds till the alarm is disabled."  I wonder how they're taking it out, then it hits me, Beth... She's hacked the security system.

"Go," Maxwell says.

I look at the lock, concentrate and it breaks into pieces.  Opening the door... I go inside.

I have the floor plan memorized so I proceed east until reaching the next hallway. 

"Stop," I hear over my earpiece.

I do and smile, "Sarah must be guiding me."

I hear Maxwell on the comm piece,  "There's a camera at the end of the hall facing you.  Take it out." 

I close my eyes and with my thoughts I visualize the camera, force it up and I burn out the motor that turns it.  Then I turn the corner and run down the hall.  I'm now at the elevator and I know it's a death trap, so I bypass it and go to the stairs. 

Remembering there's one of those devices just inside the stairwell I look through the window of the door.  I can just barely see it.  It's on a shelf in a glass case. 

Deciding to test it I try to take it out and after a moment nothing happens.  "I must be too close." Backing up a few feet I close my eyes and try again.  Still, nothing happens.

"At least I know what I have to do." Going through the door I grab my knife and hit the glass.  I have to hit it a couple of times before it breaks.  Grabbing the device I throw it to the floor and it shatters into several pieces. Turning, I quickly head downstairs.

Top Floor... Dr. Keller's office...

Dr Keller's nodded off to sleep.  He's startled awake by the alarm on his computer.  He looks at one of his screens and it shows a diagram of the first floor with the staircase door blinking in red. 

He sits up and checks the cameras and two of them are pointing up.  He switches to Sheila's cell and she's lying down sleeping.  He checks the camera at the bottom of the staircase.  As he's watching, the camera tilts up. Selecting it he tries moving it back down and it won't respond. Cursing to himself he reaches to hit the alarm...