Chapter Thirty: Highway Encounter

We sit stopped in the middle of the road looking at a lone man standing about thirty yards ahead of us. 

"It's him.  The man from the graveyard," I say.

Maxwell puts the SUV in reverse and floors it.  The tires are spinning, but we're not moving.  I stare out the windshield and see him smile...

"He has to be doing this."

Opening my door Sarah screams, "NO!" 

I turn to her, "This is the only way.  I'll be fine."  I kiss her and smile, "I love you... always." Jumping out I close the door. 

"Kyle don't do this!" Sarah screams.

Walking forward I stop at John's window, "Maxwell, take Caitlin back and take care of Sarah."  They both try to protest as I walk in front of the SUV.

I stare at the man as I begin to concentrate.  Using my thoughts I form a wall breaking his hold on the SUV.  Maxwell floors it again and this time it moves.  Maxwell slides it sideways and heads in the other direction.

Dropping the wall I stand facing my opponent... alone.

"Who are you?"  I shout.

"I've already told you who I am." 

"Why did you attack me at the graveyard?" 

He laughs. "I had to be sure it was you and you proved it.  You're definitely... my son." 

I'm still not convinced. "If you're really my Father, where have you been the last thirteen years?" 

"If you will come with me I'll answer all your questions."  It's tempting, but I don't trust him. At this point I don't know if he's really my dead father, come back to life, or some kind of trick. The kind the Special Unit might use...

I slowly shake my head, "I'm sorry, but I can't do that." 

"I let your friends escape didn't I?  That should show you my intentions." 

"You let them go? I broke your hold on the SUV. You didn't let me do anything."

He laughs again, "You have my stubborn streak inside you. Come with me now, so we can be together again."

"No thanks. I have questions I need answered, but I'm not going anywhere with you." 

He shakes his head. "That's too bad. We would've made a powerful team." 

Before I can do anything, he throws out both hands and I am knocked backwards several feet landing on the pavement.  It takes a few seconds for me to get back on my feet.

Hearing a shot I dive back to the ground as something hits to my right.  Looking over I see a scar in the pavement.  I try to see where it came from and there's nothing but trees.  I turn back to face William... and he's gone...

Getting up I run into the trees for cover.  After waiting a few minutes, I start walking.   Staying in the wood line for cover I head back to town. 

Maxwell always has us keep a fake ID and a prepaid debit card with us at all times in case of emergencies.  After thirty minutes of walking (trying to stay out of sight) I arrive in town as my cell phone rings. 

"Are you alright?"  Sarah asks.

I can't help but laugh, "You know I am because I know you've been watching me."

"Kyle, sometimes I could..." she stops herself briefly. "We know you're back in town and we're going to double back and pick you up." 

"No you're not.  Keep going.  This place is probably crawling with agents by now. I'll rent a car and be right behind you."  Sarah doesn't like it, but she knows it's the right thing to do.

"Alright, call me as soon as you're on your way.  I love you." 

I grin, "I love you too. See you soon." I hang up the phone.

Easing around town I find a rental car business, rent a car, and head east out of town.  I figure if I'm being watched, I'll at least lead them off in the wrong direction, away from Sarah and the others.  I drive for about an hour, then take another road.  I'll be taking the long way back, just in case. 

Grabbing my cell I call Sarah, "Hey, I've rented a car and I'm headed back." 

"I know. I've been watching you.  We're about ten hours from home." 

I look at my watch, "OK. I'm about two hours behind you because of the detour.  Don't worry.  I'll be fine." 

"You know I'll be keeping an eye on you.  Make sure you remember that."

I laugh.  "I'm counting on it.  Be careful. Call me if you run into trouble and I'll see you soon." 

"Alright. I Love you." 

I smile, "I Love you too. Take Care of Caitlin. I don't know why, but for some reason I feel like there's something special about her."

"Of corse there is.  That's why their after her."

"It's more than just her being telekinetic. At least, I feel like there's something else going on."

"Alright, I will. See you soon."

"Count on it beautiful." Hanging up, I head for home.

Back at Caitlin's apartment...

Agent White arrives to find his three agents down.  He gets out and with the help of two other agents, he gets them on their feet. 

"What happened?  This was supposed to be a simple extraction of a teenage girl."

"I'm sorry sir, but we were attacked.  Two men, both Telekinetic used their powers against us.  We fired at them and sir, one could even deflect bullets!"  Mr White nods his head. He turns away from his men, "Kyle..." he whispers.

Somewhere on the road...

I'm driving taking the scenic route back making sure I'm not followed.  I can't stop thinking about this last confrontation.  Could this man actually be my Father?  If he is, what's happened to him.  From what little I remember he was always kind to Mom and I.  What could've changed him from the man I remember to the one I've faced.  Or is this all a lie, some kind of a trap. 

He told me, "We would have made a powerful team."  What did he mean by that?  So many questions and so far, not enough answers...

"I love you... Always." There it is again...

Comments......