Chapter Twenty: New Allies

We drive the rest of the night and most of the day till we arrive in the mountains near Medford, Oregon.  During our trip Maxwell explained that Sheila's rescue attempt would have to be put off another twenty-four hours because of the move.  I was disappointed, but had expected it. 

As we arrive, we check out our new home.  There are several old cabins and one main building.  It looks like an old tourist destination long deserted. All the buildings still look to be in remarkably good condition.  Everyone gets busy unloading the trucks and setting everything up.

After all the work was done and we had ate, it was around midnight.  Sarah and I go inside the main building where Maxwell, Karen, Beth, and John already have the maps out going over everything. 

Sarah tells them about her last vision and where the devices were located.  Beth marks them on the map and draws a circle around what she estimates is the effective range of each device. 

Beth looks at me, "Remember Kyle, this is just a estimate. I could be wrong."

"I understand and I'll keep that in mind." 

We study the map and talk about the revised plan.  Maxwell tells us the vehicles and other equipment are already on site at Redlands, California near San Bernardino Airport. 

"Get some sleep and be ready to go at six a.m."

I walk Sarah to her cabin and we sit down on the porch.  She looks so beautiful in the moonlight... But I can tell she's worried though.  She's staring at the ground. 

"What's wrong?" I ask.

She's still looking at the ground as she begins, "I'm thinking about tomorrow.  We've never tried to hit one of their facilities before.  We've always done hit and run attacks on vehicles or we try to reach someone before they do.  I'm afraid of what's going to happen.  I know you're going in regardless of the danger, and I'm not going to try and stop you.  But it hurts me to think that after I have waited so long for the right one to come along,"  she looks at me, "that I lose him." 

I look into her eyes, "I promise you, I'll come back." 

Upset, she stands up, "How can you say that?  You don't know the future."

I stand up, and hold her by her shoulders, "No I don't, but I have someone I love with a special gift, to help guide me through it." 

We stare into each other's eyes, and share a long kiss.  As our hearts beat as one she takes me by the hand and I follow her inside the cabin...

The next morning at six o'clock sharp when we leave for Redlands.  It takes us all day to get there and we arrive at the assembly area about seven in the evening.  We walk inside an old garage and shut the door and there's a man waiting for us.

Maxwell shakes hands with him. "It's good to see you Mike." 

"You too my friend, "Mike says.

Maxwell turns to us, "Everyone, this is Mike Reeves,  We've known each other since our teens and he's been part of our network for several years."

Everyone in turn introduce themselves and then It's my turn.  "And you must be the new guy I've heard about from Maxwell. Kyle isn't it?" 

"Yes sir. It's good to meet you."

Mike walks over to a bench, picks up a large knife, turns and throws it at me.  Sarah screams as I stop the knife two feet from my face using my thoughts.  My heart is pounding as I hold it there for a few seconds. Then I let it fall to the floor. 

Mike laughs.  "No offense.  I'm just testing you son.  If I'm going to put my life on the line with someone I don't know, I at least want to know what they can do." 

A little pissed and with my adrenaline pumping, I concentrate and levitate the knife back up into the air pointing it at Mike. 

"Kyle!"  Maxwell shouts...  But it's too late. 

I throw it back toward Mike stopping the tip of the blade six inches from his nose. 

"How is that old man?"  I shout as I hold the knife there for a few seconds and let it drop. 

He laughs again, "You're right Maxwell, this one is powerful."  Mike walks by me and pats me on the shoulder. 

Maxwell tries to break the tension, "Mike, is everything prepared and ready?"

"Yes.  Both vehicles are ready behind the garage and all equipment is on the table," he glances at all of us. "The first team will leave at 1:30 a.m."  When he's done speaking, his eyes rest on me...