Chapter Twelve: Testing Kyle

The next day...

It seemed that I had only been asleep for a couple of hours when Sarah came into my room and shook me awake.  "Get up sleepy head. You're in for a long day." 

She sits down on the front porch while I shower and get dressed.  Walking outside she leads me to one of the buildings I haven't been in before.  As we enter, Karen is sitting down waiting... "Good morning Kyle. How did you sleep?" 

I shrug my shoulders, "I've slept better.  Bad dreams."

She gets up and walks around her desk, "I'm sorry about that, but don't worry, you'll sleep tonight." 

Sarah leans in close, "I'll see you later." She whispers and heads out the door.

Karen leads me to another room and we go inside.  There are several objects lying around of different sizes, shapes and weight.  "I've seen you lift a person on video but have you ever tried to lift more than one object at a time?" 

I think about it, "No.  I don't think so."

She points to several tennis balls laying on the floor and asks me to lift them.  I look at them and concentrate.  One by one they rise into the air about head high.  "Very good," she says and writes on her clipboard.  While she's writing I think of the paper airplane and begin to juggle the balls.  She looks up and laughs, "Ok, that's enough."  So... I let them fall back to the floor.

It takes half the morning as she has me do simple tests.  She looks at me with satisfaction, "I thought we would start you out slowly, but with these results, let's move on."  We go into another room and it has several objects made of different materials sitting on tables.  She asks me to lift each one in turn.  I do without any difficulty.  "Impressive." she says and makes more notes.

Finally... we stop to eat dinner.  As we go inside the dining room seems crowded.  I've been told at any given time there are about 30 to 40 people staying at the ranch and I believe they're all eating at once.  After we have ate, Maxwell walks in and sits down across from me...

"Hello Kyle.  How are the tests coming along." 

"OK. I guess." 

Karen speaks up, "So far, he's passed every test." 

"That's wonderful," Maxwell replies.

I look at him, "I'm not trying to sound sarcastic, but when do I get to try something difficult?" 

Maxwell looks at Karen and smiles. He thinks about it for a moment, "I think Kyle's getting a little bored.  What do you think about going directly to test Phase Five."  Suddenly, the room becomes silent.  I turn and look around... Everyone has stoped eating and is staring at me...

Karen agrees, "Yes, I believe that would be an excellent idea."

A few people from the cafeteria walk with us around to the back of the property.  We stop where several heavy items are scattered around.  Karen points at several concrete blocks that are laying on a small concrete slab and tells me to stack them up like a wall.  I turn around toward the blocks and using my thoughts I stack the blocks like I was asked.

"Very good... Now, try to knock them down," she asks.

I face the blocks and as I begin to concentrate I throw out my hand and about half of the wall falls. Maxwell walks over to me, "That was good Kyle, but I think you can do better.  Stack them up agin like before."  I do as I'm told and the wall is ready.

"This time push hard from here," he says pointing at his forehead, "and focus all your power.  Then release the energy out toward the blocks all at once.  Use your hand if you feel you need to."