Chapter Four: The Fire

My last peaceful summer... Almost...

The summer went by too fast for me.  Sheila and I had spent a lot of time together.  In between working our summer jobs she helped me with my 'Gift,' as she calls it.  Working together, after a lot of trial and error, she helped me to develop my Telekinesis. 

We started out with very light objects like paper.  One day we made a paper airplane and although it took me half the day, I was finally able to control it and fly it around Sheila's bedroom.  We're lying on her bed looking up as it circles above us doing figure eights. We were laughing, and were amazed at the same time.

On another day at her house (she had a tall wooden fence in her back yard) we tried heavier things.  Her Mom had some old concrete blocks just lying around so I picked one out and began to stare at it. After a moment using my thoughts it slowly lifted into the air. I held it for a couple of minutes before I lost my strength and it fell to the ground.  After recovering for a few minutes, I tried again.  Several attempts later I found that after each time I tried it got a little easier to levitate, and I could hold it a little longer as well.

One day we were on her front porch sitting on the swing talking.  I happen to look over at her driveway and got an idea.

"I wonder if I can levitate your Mom's car?"

Sheila just laughs "Just because your gifted doesn't mean you can do anything."  I smile at her, get up and walk down the steps stopping about ten feet from the car. Sheila follows and stands beside me. She folds her arms, and turns to me.  "You can't be serious." I smile and look around to make sure no one is watching. Her smile fades.  "You are serious, aren't you?" She whispers.  I turn from her to the car, reach out my hand toward it and begin to concentrate.  It takes a couple of minutes before very slowly, the car begins to rise.

I hear Sheila gasp as the wheels leave the ground and I lift it up about six inches and hold it there.  Sweat is pouring off my face and I begin to tremble as I continue to hold it for as long as I'm able.  As my strength leaves me it crashes to the pavement. We rush back inside her house as the neighbors come out to see what they've heard.

As we sit on our knees on the couch peeking through the curtains we begin to laugh.  After we make sure no one is coming toward her house we sit down and relax.

"That was close," I say.

"Yeah it was," she stands to face me. "I still can't believe you did it."

After all the weeks I've spent practicing, with Sheila's help, I could finally use my ability without emotions.  But I always seemed more powerful when I used them.

Several days later...

I knew that before long Sheila would be leaving for college on a scholarship.  I wish I had worked as hard in school as she had so I could have gotten one too, but I guess that wasn't meant to be.  We still had about a week before that would happen but neither of us was looking forward to it.  We've been so close all our lives, but I guess having to let go is part of life.

One evening we're at Sheila's house watching TV when Cassie calls.  She turns and smiles at me, "It's your stalker." She whispers teasingly.

"That's not funny."

She smiles. "Hello Cassie.  What's up?"

"Are you watching it?"

"Watching what?"

"Look outside just down the street. Your neighbors house is on fire!" 

We hear sirens and see two fire trucks and a ambulance go past her house. Sheila hangs up and we run outside to find flames are coming from the ground floor windows.

We run down as far as we can get to where a crowd has gathered.  Suddenly, we hear a scream. I look up at the second floor window and see a girl about twelve years old.  The fireman see her and are frantically trying to get their ladder down off the truck.  There's heavy dark smoke coming out of the window and the girl looks like she can hardly breath. Terrified, and in desperation, she jumps.

As the crowd screams I point my hand toward the girl, and catch her in mid-air.  I hear several gasps as I use my thoughts to hold her steady for just a moment.  She's overwhelmed with fear and passes out.  Slowly, I lower my hand and she gently levitates to the ground landing softly.  Everyone's staring at her, stunned at what they've seen.  As she lies on the ground a fireman and two EMT's, still in shock, finally run over to her and begin to help. 

I turn to Sheila. "I think it's time to go," I whisper and we quickly slip away.

Running behind the other houses we make our way back to her house.  As soon as we're there Sheila lands in my arms. "See, I told you this was a gift. You saved that girl's life!" 

Shaking my head I can't help but smile.  I used my gift to save a life.  This is something I'll never forget.

We walk back out to the front porch of Sheila's house and watch the fireman as they continue fighting the fire.  Sheila leans against me as the ambulance hits the siren and they drive away with the girl. 

"I hope she'll be alright."

Sheila puts her arm around me.  "I know she will be after what you did.  I'm so proud of you." I look at her and smile.  I feel good about what I did and I'm relieved no one seemed to notice me, or at least I hope they didn't.

Later that night...

After it's all over we go inside and sit down on the couch.  We're watching TV and the news comes on and it mentions the house fire.  They say they have amazing video coming up.  We both look at each other and she sees me getting nervous.

"Hey, It's going to be alright."  I turn back to the TV and we wait in silence.

When the commercials are over the news station shows a cell phone video of the house fire and the girl screaming out of the window.

No, please no.

She jumps out and starts to fall as everyone screams.  Suddenly she stops falling and seems to just hover in the air.

"Oh my God.  I didn't think I held her for that long." We continue to watch as she passes out, and appears to float gently to the ground. 

My heart begins to race as they play it again.  This time I notice that in the lower right corner of the picture I can see me.  The video was shot from behind me and as the girl jumps I can see me raise my hand just as she stops falling.  She passes out and as I lower my hand the girl slowly levitates to the ground.  Then, the video catches Sheila and I briefly as we turn and run away. 

The more I watch it, the more I freak out. Everything in Sheila's house starts to vibrate. She looks around in fear as her eyes rest on me.

She takes my hand. "Kyle you've got to Focus.  Take a deep breath; just calm down."

Her voice has always been soothing to me and after a couple of breaths everything stops shaking. 

Opening my eyes I see how frightened she is.  "What if someone recognizes us?  And who do you think took that video?"

She shakes her head. "I don't know.  It was probably some kid.  Just stay calm," she points to the TV. "Besides they're not talking about us. They're talking about her."  Turning back to the TV I try to remain calm. 

She's probably right... But what if?

East Coast, Special Unit Operations Center...

Meanwhile, that same night, there was another person who was paying attention to the news, Dr Keller.  After receiving the video of the "High School incident" from Mr Blair, Dr Keller had been keeping an eye out for any kind of unusual video or news coming out of Greenville, Tennessee. Hs sits watching the video of the fire and smiles.  "Gotcha.  This video is as good as gold.  My superiors will certainly have to agree with me now."  With new determination, he reaches for the phone.