Chapter Sixteen: The Firing Range

John meets me back at the firing range.  He's brought with him a 9mm handgun, bulletproof vest and a box of ammunition.  He looks at me very concerned, "Are you sure you want to do this Kyle?"

"Yes, definitely.  I don't have a choice." 

John stares at me as he loads his gun.  Putting on the vest I walk 20 yards to the wall.  John has told me that he's an expert shot, so I trust him.  For Sheila's sake, I have to.  The vest I wear should stop a 9mm.  At least... I hope it will. 

John takes a deep breath, "Are you ready?"

I think about what he explained to me, and start concentrating.  I think about the shape of the bullet, visualizing it, almost, feeling it...

I nod and John takes aim and fires... I feel the round as it leaves the gun, but it's fast.  It hits me hard square in the chest and I fall to the ground. 

"Kyle!"  John yells and starts toward me. I wave him off as I stand up. 

"I'm alright. Let's do it again."  John shakes his head, and takes aim...

Maxwell, Sarah and Karen are discussing what can be done.  They've made hit and run raids before on moving vehicles but have never attempted to hit a hard target that is prepared and waiting for them. 

"I don't think we can do it. I mean, hitting a small convoy is one thing, but hitting one of their facilities," Karen shakes her head, "It's a bad idea Maxwell."

Sarah slams her hand down on the desk, "Look, I know as well as anyone the risk we're talking about," she turns to Karen, "But you didn't see the look on Kyle's face, or hear his words. He's going with our help," she turns back to Maxwell, "or without us... And I'm going with him."

They suddenly hear a gunshot and Sarah closes her eyes.  They stand still, quietly listening and hear another. Sarah opens her eyes, "Kyle!"  She shouts and they quickly run for the door.

The Firing Range...

I pick myself back up again, catch my breath, and motion for John to fire again.  He takes aim and fires.  This time, I can feel the bullet actually slowing down a little, but it still hits me in the chest knocking me down again.  I slowly force myself to get up, yet again...

"Kyle, we can't keep doing this.  You're going to get hurt."

I shake my head, "Give me a minute. Then fire again."  Against John's better judgement, he agrees. 

"I've got to do this for Sheila."  Closing my eyes I think about her locked up, a prisoner because of me.  I remember what happened to my Mom, and how it's my fault...

I feel my anger increasing and as it does I begin to concentrate harder than I ever have.  I focus the power building up inside my whole body. I feel almost electrically charged.  Opening my eyes, I nod...

He takes aim.   As he does, Sarah, Maxwell, and Karen top the hill overlooking the firing range and stop.  Before they can say anything, John fires... and Sarah screams.

This time it's different.  It's like it's happening in slow motion.  I see the round coming straight at me, slowly spinning.  Raising my hand the bullet stops about a foot in front of me, and deflects to the side. 

I lower my hand while still feeling the power flowing inside me.  I look up at the four of them on the hill.  They're all staring at me shocked, not saying a word. 

"Now, lets try this for real." 

Taking off the vest I drop it to the ground, "Fire again..." 

"NO!"  Maxwell shouts.

But John, remembering the car and having seen what I just did, believes in me. He turns back toward me, raises his weapon, and fires. 

As he does I raise my hand and still holding on to my anger, it happens again.  As the bullet reaches me, it's deflected away.

Sarah and Maxwell run down the hill to John and Maxwell grabs the gun.  Sarah continues to run to me landing in my arms. 

"You can never do that again.  I love you and I don't want to lose you." She says as she cries as I hold her...

I look down at her, "I love you too.  You're the first and the only one I have ever fallen for.  The first time I saw you," I cup her face with my hands, " and those beautiful blue eyes, I knew I loved you.  But Sheila's in trouble and it's all because of me and this... gift.  I have to go. I have to try to save her." 

As tears fall down her face, she stares into my eyes, "I know. I'll help you any way I can."  I know how hard that was for her to say.  We share a long passionate kiss as I squeeze her tight.  After a moment, we turn and walk hand in hand toward Maxwell... Both unsure of what the future will hold...