Chapter Nineteen: Evacuation

An Hour Later...

Sarah and I wake up as Maxwell enters the room.  She had laid down beside me and I guess we fell asleep.  She gets up as Karen comes inside and takes out my IV.  She checks my hands and arms where they had been burned a little during the fight. 

"Did you two get any rest?" He asks.

"Yeah, I guess this drained me more than I thought."

He nods, "I can see why... I'm sorry, but you need to get ready. I'm not taking any chances so we're leaving. Keller's agents may be on the way as we speak."

Sarah helps me to sit up and get dressed.  My thoughts keep going back to the battle and what I've done...

I turn to Maxwell, "Tell me about Tracey." He sits down, pauses a moment and begins.

"We rescued Tracey when our team hit a convoy of the Special Units trucks.  We actually rescued two that day,  Tracey and her brother Scott." 

"She has a brother?"  I ask surprised.

"Yes, at least she did then.  We believe he's dead now."

"We brought them back to our compound and gave them medical attention.  It quickly became clear both had been experimented on.  It took a week before Scott came out of it.  But he acted strange, kept to himself, and never spoke much.  Just a few days later Scott disappeared."

Maxwell continues, "About two weeks later Beth called us in to watch a news video.  It showed a bank being robbed and the camera caught three men getting into a car. As they did, one of the men took off his mask.  It was Scott.  Later the news reported that all three men had been killed in a shootout with police."

"Meanwhile, Tracey had began to recover.  After losing her brother she decided to stay with us.  As you found out the hard way, she was Pyrokinetic.  The first one we ever had here.  We tested her and found she was very limited with her ability.  She could hardly even light a match. We tried to help her develop it with very little success."

"This was only a couple of weeks before we found out about you.  When you were rescued, you told me about Sheila.  Tracey volunteered to act as her roommate and now we know why."

"The plan to get her implanted with us was very elaborate and well thought out.  The Special Unit had to be watching you at least several weeks before they made their move.  So far, this is all I've managed to piece together."

John opens the door, "Sorry to interrupt, but the last truck is ready to go and I have a SUV waiting outside."

Maxwell nods, "Tell the truck to head out. We'll be leaving momentarily." John nods and heads out the door. Maxwell turns back to me, "Listen Kyle.  Tracey was clearly brainwashed.  You did what you had to do," he pats me on the shoulder. "Come on, it's time to go." Sarah helps me out the door and into the back seat of the SUV. John is driving and Maxwell gets in the front seat. As we head out I turn and look out the back window, taking one last look as we drive away...

It's about two a.m. when we leave the ranch.  I have my arm around Sarah with her head on my shoulder. 

John keeps looking at me in the mirror.. I know he wants to talk. 

"What is it John?"

"Well..." he hesitates a few seconds. "We all saw what happened toward the end of the fight." 

"John!"  Maxwell scolds.

I interrupt, "It's alright John, go ahead." 

He continues, "I don't mean to pry, but how on Earth did you hold off a fire that intense and lift a twelve thousand pound car that high at the same time?  I mean... I just can't believe it. I would really like to know." 

I think for a moment trying to put my thoughts together, "Three things really."  I have captured everyone's attention now, even Sarah.

"First, I found out a long time ago that every time I use my ability I get stronger. It's kind of like lifting weights.  The more you work out, the stronger you become. Second, I simply have to believe that I can do what I'm trying to do. Sometimes it's hard to convince your mind that you can do something. I have to erase all doubt. Third, to intensify my ability even more, I use my emotions.  Not long after I found out I was Telekinetic, Sheila and I discovered that intense emotions make me more powerful.  In fact, in the beginning I could barely use my Telekinesis without my emotions."

I continue, "Since the day I saved the girl at the fire, I've felt different somehow and my ability has increased as well, especially after I've been with all of you and have gotten some proper instruction on how to focus it." 

Maxwell smiles, "You don't give yourself enough credit. You had it within you all along.  I just helped." 

He turns to John, "You're a strong Mover and you will get stronger I'm sure, but and I think John will agree," Maxwell turns back to me. "Kyle, after all we've witnessed, you are definitely the most powerful Mover we have ever known."

Maxwell turns back around and Sarah leans against me.  I hold her as she falls asleep.  Leaning my head back I stare out of the windshield as the headlights pierce the darkness.  It will take several hours to get to our new location, so I have time to think...

I know I should be mourning my Mom's death and I am to an extent.  But my anger is so great...

My world has been turned upside down.  I'm being hunted just because of what I can do.  People I love have died and are in danger because of me.  I will not let them kill Sheila, like I did my Mom. I feel responsible for her death.  I couldn't save her, but I have to save Sheila. Even if it costs me my life.

I look at Sarah sleeping against me and smile as I watch her.  She's my first and only one I've fell in love with.  I have more to live for now than I ever have.  I knew Sarah was the one the first time I looked into those beautiful blue eyes...

But even so, if it comes to it, I'll give my life to save Sheila.  I hope Sarah understands.  I want to spend the rest of my life with her, but I can't stand the thought of living without my best friend. 

I'm so torn up inside.  Why me?  Why do I have this ability in the first place.  Someone has the answers to my questions, and one day I'll find out.  One way... or another...