Chapter 2- 9.7.15

Makoto's so dreamy... Haru thought to himself, his mind clouded with the few minutes he had spent with Makoto. He could barely concentrate in class, because he was so happy. Well, that's one step towards being his friend. I can't wait till we're officially friends, so I can join the swim team. Wait till Nagisa and Rei hear this!

--

"Tachibana!" Makoto's friends shouted, although their voices were muffled by the many other students calling the brunette's last name.

Awkwardly, Makoto brushed everybody aside so he could get to his friends. For the next few classes, he had been debating whether or not he should tell his friends about his encounter with Haru.

When lunch time arrived, he decided to keep it to himself. He refused to have feelings for anybody. Especially a boy. Especially a boy newbie. 

"Hey," Makoto waved at his friends, joining them at the table.

"You actually said hello to us!" Kisumi squealed.

"Every hello begins with hell," Makoto regretted.

"You have a more softer expression than usual," Sousuke observed.

Oh no. This is all Haruka's fault, Makoto scolded. How do I fix it? I know! If I can throw away his book bag... Yes that's it! I wasn't able to do it before. But if I bet I did, everything will go back to normal. That's right... I couldn't care less about that newbie loser.

"Earth to Tachibana!" Kisumi hollered, waving his arms in front of Makoto's face.

Annoyed, Makoto grabbed Kisumi's arms and slammed them to the table. Before he could continue to abuse the cotton-candy haired boy, something from the corner of his eye caught his attention.

"I'm so proud of you!" Nagisa exclaimed, patting a certain transfer student on the back.

"Thank you," Haru mumbled gratefully, as the two walked past the popular table.

Haru glanced at the brunette and flashed a smile as he walked by. Makoto's heart skipped a beat, as he yearned for more of Haru's attention.

"Why didn't you do anything?" Rin asked, speaking on behalf of his friend group. They all saw how Makoto just let a vulnerable prey walk past him.

"He's not worth my time," Makoto lied. 

"True," Sousuke agreed, snickering.

"He seems pretty attached to all of his books," Rin observed. "In Math class, he just covered his face in a book and never looked up."

"He wasn't actually reading," Kisumi, who was also in Rin's math class, pitched in. "I never saw him flip the page."

"Maybe a picture book?" Rin guessed.

"Did you do something to the new kid, Tachibana?" Kisumi asked.

"I threw his one of his books in the trash can." Makoto recalled.

"Nice!" Kisumi and Rin exclaiming, holding their hands up for a high-five.

Makoto glared at the childish gesture.

"That may seem why he's so socially awkward," Rin continued. "He's probably scared of you."

"You should throw his whole book bag in the trash can!" Sousuke suggested.

"That's not a half-bad idea for something without brains," Makoto acknowledged. 

Sousuke nodded, taking the insult as a compliment.