Chapter 14- 9.25.15

"Tachibana keep your head in the game!"

"If you could coach better maybe I would!"

"W-Wha-? D-Don't talk back to me!"

"Like you're not?"

"C'mon Tachibana," Sousuke nudged. "There's no way you can get through the coach's thick head."

"Whatever," Makoto sighed, getting back into position.

Usually the coach wouldn't say anything bad to Makoto when he's practicing, Haru observed from the bleachers. Makoto's been off the whole week... Maybe I only have myself to blame.

Haru watched the rest of the practice, noticing how Makoto would sometimes randomly flinch, even if the football wasn't even in contact. It was like an annoying gnat that pestered him where ever he went.

The dark-haired boy quickly got off the bleachers once practice was done. He jogged towards the bicycle rack, knowing that Makoto had put his bike there earlier. He unlocked his own bike, and sat on it as he waited for Makoto to come his way. His heart skipped a beat as he heard footsteps coming his way.

"What do you want," Makoto grumbled, as soon as he saw Haru.

"I just want to ride home with you." Haru explained. "You know, like last time."

"Don't want to." Makoto declined, getting on his bike and began heading home.

"Tachibana wait!" Haru cried, quickly pedaling after Makoto.

I promised I'll help you today, Haru thought to himself, as he rode across the bridge. The sun had just set, leaving a beautiful night sky for the two to enjoy. But of course, both of them were a bit preoccupied.

You don't have to worry anymore, Makoto.

"What do you want from me?" Makoto complained, after Haru finally caught up to him at the end of the bridge.

"Friendship?"

"You only want my friendship so you can go swimming."

"Well I mean," Haru paused. "I guess you're kinda right."

"If that's what you want, you're not gonna get it."

"W-Wait!"

"What?"

"It's not just for swimming, I also want to be your friend."

"Yea, yea."

"I just want to be closer to you."

"That's what they all say."

"I'm being serious! You were acting weird this week."

Makoto flinched a bit.

"No doubt it has something to do with me," Haru continued. "I really want to help you, Makoto."

"Don't use my name." Makoto growled, pedaling away.

Haru tried to quicken his pace, but there was no way he could catch up to an all-star football player. Still, Haru kept behind Makoto, following him to his house. When the brunette got there, Haru quickly jumped off his bicycle and tackled Makoto before he could enter his house.

"What the hell was that for?" Makoto complained, trying to pry Haru off. "You're so clingy and annoying."

"Just give me a chance," Haru pleaded.

"Why don't you go bother someone else? Why did you choose me out of all people to annoy the crap out of?"

"Because I like you." Haru mumbled, still clenching tightly onto Makoto so neither could get up.

"L-Look..." Makoto blushed. "Just join the swimming table, okay? They'll let you in."

"After you promise that you'll be friends with me first?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because you'll keep on following me around and I-"

"I only do that because I'm worried about that dumb front of yours."

"Stop bringing that up!"

"No." Haru disagreed. "I won't. I won't stop bringing it up until you allow me to help you. You think it's easy trying to befriend someone as stubborn as you? You think if all I cared about was swimming I'd never try to talk to you in the first place. Yet, I care about you. I want you to be happy. Because... Because you make me happy."

"Liar." Makoto muttered.

"You really think?" Haru asked.

Before Makoto could respond, Haru pressed his lips on him, shutting the brunette up. Afterwards, Haru's face was burning red, but for some reason, Makoto was a sickening shade of red.

"Tachibana, I w-"

"Get off me." Makoto whispered, his voice cracking as if he had a headache.

"What?"

"I said 'Get off me.'"

"No. I won't until you-"

"I said GET OFF." Makoto raised his voice, violently pushing Haru off him.

"Please," Haru pleaded, grabbing onto Makoto's hands.

"Shut up." Makoto demanded. "I hate you. You were the first real friend that just wanted my friendship and nothing else- was what I originally thought. But you're just like everyone else. You just want to swim.  You don't want me. After all we've been through I really expected better of you." 

"It's not like that," Haru retorted, trying to pull Makoto back from opening his front door. "I swear I'm different. I just want to help you."

"I don't need you."

And with that, Makoto slammed the door on Haru.

--

...Hihi it's Saki-chan again and according to my plot summary I'll be finishing this book in about 2 Chapters?  But not really? Ah whatever you'll understand once you reach the 'Author's Note', where I'll further explain myself.

Btw, Makoto still has that weird burning feeling oh gosh it's so hard to explain but bear with me.