Chapter 8- 9.12.15

What the hell is she thinking? Haru thought, increasing his running pace as he ran further and further away from his aunt's house. I hate her.

I hate her.

I HATE HER.

Who does she think is she? Forcing me to be whatever she wants, like a puppet or something. I don't want to live this life. It's stupid.

I want to grow up, and make my own decisions. Leave my mother behind. And my dad...?

The thought of his dad sent shivers down Haru's spine. The sole reason of something his dad did forced Haru and his mother to move to America without him.

I'll leave my dad too. Serves him right for taking away... taking away my... God! I hate my whole family!

Before Haru realized it, he had reached Makoto front door. Haru took a few deep breaths and calmed himself down before reaching for the doorbell. Before he could press it though, he heard Makoto's voice behind the house.

Quickly and quietly, Haru snuck into Makoto's backyard. He was surprised to see two younger children running around the brunette.

"Onii-chan, Onii-chan!" One of them cried. "Ran is scary!"

"No!" The other one defended. "You're just a scaredy cat!"

"You're wrong!"

"No, you're wrong, I'm right!"

"Shh shh," Makoto soothed, stopping the two of them in their tracks. "Ran isn't scary. And Ren isn't a scaredy cat either."

Haru, who was watching them from behind the fence, smiled as he saw how gentle Makoto was with children.

Who knew he had such a soft side?

"Apologize to each other,"

"Sorry," Ren and Ran both mumbled.

Makoto flashed a warm smile. "Now, go play together okay? I don't want to here anymore bickering."

"Yes, Onii-chan!" Ran exclaimed.

"We love you!" Ren cried, as the two rushed off inside the house.

Am I jealous of them? Haru questioned, feeling something heavy in his heart. No, I'm not jealous. They're his siblings after all.

Haru watched as Makoto walked towards a bush, reaching his hand out for something.

"Here, here, don't be scared," Makoto smiled, a warm smile Haru had never seen before.

Haru gazed in awe as a little white kitten crawled out of the bush. It shocked Haru how Makoto was able to caress a small baby animal without it running away, yet unable to tolerate human beings in his high school.

After a few minutes of lovingly gazing at his crush, Haru snapped out of it as Makoto let the kitten go. Seeing his chance to talk to the brunette, Haru took a deep breath, ready to strengthen their relationship.

"Makoto!" Haru cried, waving from the other side of the fence.

"H-Haruka?"

"So I was right, you do have a soft side."

"N-No I don't! How'd you find my house anyways?"

Haru shrugged. "I heard your voice."

Makoto looked around to make sure nobody was watching him and opened the gate, allowing Haru to come in.

"Nobody knows about this, 'kay?" Makoto warned, clasping his hands on Haru's shoulders.

Haru nodded. Although after the two both realized how close they were to each other, they became a bit flustered. Even so, Makoto still kept his hands on Haru.

"But, I'm still confused," Haru added. "Why are you keeping up this front?"

"Why are we still talking about that crap?"

"Doesn't it burden you?"

"It doesn't concern you."

"But it does. I want to help you and I first need to know why you're like this."

"You wouldn't understand,"

No, really. It's not like I'm experiencing the same problem as you are.

"I'm sure if you explain it to me, you'll feel better." Haru persuaded.

"Hell like I'll tell a transfer loser like you,"

"I'm hurt," Haru teased.

"It's none of your business." Makoto looked away, blushing.

"Look," Haru wrapped his arms around Makoto's neck, bringing the two a bit closer. "I promised you I won't tell anyone. It wouldn't hurt if you let me know."

"You don't understa..." Makoto voice trailed off, lost in Haru's shimmering eyes. It was only then that he realized that the two were in a very awkward position, both of their hands were touching each other's shoulders. But the brunette couldn't bring himself to push Haru away- there was something about his blue eyes that kept him in place.

Haru smiled, glad that Makoto was actually giving him a chance. "Tell me, Makoto?"

"I told you not to call me by my first name," Makoto mumbled, his face extremely red.

"Mako-"  Haru began, but then remembered how his own mother tortured him with his own name. It made the dark-haired boy feel a bit bad for his actions. "Tachibana, I won't tell, if you're worried. It could be our little secret."

"Look, seeing this side of me is already a big enough secret."

"I guess," Haru agreed. "I'll ask again when we get closer."

"Remember," Makoto took one of his fingers and placed them on Haru's lips, blushing because of how soft Haru's lips were. "Your lips are sealed."

"Of course." Haru pushed himself closer to Makoto. "I'll seal my lips right now."

And with that note, Haru pressed his lips on Makoto. It was a simple kiss, just a peck, but it was enough to make Makoto feel gooey inside and out. Of course Haru felt the same way, but he kept it to himself.

Haru slipped out of Makoto's grasp and out of the backyard. As Haru looked back, he laughed silently at how Makoto was still frozen in place with a burning red face.

Maybe today wasn't such a bad day after all, Haru thought to himself, as he leisurely walked back to his aunt's house. 

Soon, Makoto will love me too. I might even be able to join the swim club! Perhaps Iwatobi  High wasn't as bad of a decision as I thought it would've been.