Chapter 15- 10.9.15

"Tachibana, are you alright?" The teacher asked.

Makoto had fallen asleep in class for the umpteenth time in the past two weeks since Haru last approached him. The dark-haired boy didn't try again since, because the last few words that Makoto had said to him had hit him in his sensitive spot.

It wasn't just that, the sound of Makoto feeling betrayed sent shivers down Haru's spine everytime he recalled that night.

A bit hurt, Haru found it better if he had just shut up and continued his nonchalant front even in front of the brunette. Yet, he still couldn't get his mind off him.

Nonetheless, Haru kicked Makoto's knee, waking him up.

"What is it?" Makoto mumbled, glaring at the teacher.

"Y-You were asleep..." The teacher explained.

"Right right," Makoto got up and stretched. "This lesson is boring. I'll be leaving for the day."

"Tachibana you can't-"

"Oh really?" Makoto asked, his voice a bit menacing and lower than usual. His face was equally as frightening. "What makes you think you can stop me?"

"You should just go to the nurse," Ms. Amakata suggested, pulling out a clinic pass. "You were falling sleep after all."

Makoto scoffed, snatching the pass and leaving the room.

"Tachibana is so cool!" Haru heard a girl whisper to her friend. "He's so good looking too!"

"I wish he would have that attitude when people try to flirt with me yanno?" Her friend responded. "Like imagine, him being really sweet to me but then also protective when other people try to touch me!"

"That's so dreamy..."

"I know right?"

Haru snickered silently. Oh, if only you knew.

--

"Haruka!"

It's that dude when that friend that has too many problems, Haru recalled. He slowed down his pace, allowing the boy to catch up to him. We're not even friends... what does he want from me?

Haru allowed the yellowish orange-haired boy to accompany him towards the cafeteria. He didn't quite remember when he acknowledged that it was okay for the boy to walk with him, but he didn't have the guts to tell him to leave.

Haru wasn't that fond of the boy either. He didn't like how he spilled all of his problems onto Haru like it was no one's business. Some of the stuff he told Haru were very personal, but it seemed like he didn't care.

How could someone be so open like that? Haru couldn't understand. Doesn't that make you feel exposed?

"Haru! Haruka!" Nagisa exclaimed, running up to Haru. "You made a new friend!"

"I-I..." Haru stuttered. I never said that we were friends...

"I'll be off, Haruka!" The boy waved, as Haru awkwardly waved good-bye as well.

"Don't tell me," Nagisa changed his tone of voice, watching the boy leave. "That you've taken a liking to someone else besides Makoto, have you?"

"T-That's not it." Haru blushed, gesturing for Nagisa to continue walking towards their lunch table.

"Oh?" Nagisa continued, his eyed fixated away from Haru. "You haven't talked about Makoto in a while."

"That's just... because I haven't got time to talk to him."

"Is that so," Nagisa smirked. "I feel like it's something deeper than that."

"I-I mean, I guess you could say that."

"Are you seeing someone?"

"...What?"

Nagisa scoffed. "What's going on between you and Makoto?"

"Nagisa..." Haru mumbled.

Nagisa raised his eyebrow and averted his eyes towards Haru.

"Nagisa you're..." Haru covered his mouth, trying hard to not explode- in laughter that is. He managed to get off with a small giggle, shocking Nagisa. "Nagisa you're being too serious."

"Eh?"

--

"So anime can have a big influence on your personality." Rei noted, watching Nagisa pout while crossing his arms. "He was staying up last night trying to finish this show..."

Haru was chuckling uncontrollably. "Serious Nagisa is one of the funniest things..."

"Shut up..." Nagisa demanded, with a hint of uncertainty. "But I was sure that something happened between you and Makoto."

"Ah," Haru sighed. "Nothing really happened. It's just, Makoto's been acting a bit off."

"Now that you mention it..." Rei recalled. "He dozes off in class and has an even worse attitude than before."

"You think something happened at home?" Nagisa suggested, scrunching his eyebrows.

"How about you stop talking until that anime fever stops taking a toll on you."

"I find nothing wrong with my personality as it is."

"Just be quiet."

Nagisa rolled his eyes. "Jeez, whatever."

"Nagisa does have a point thought," Rei continued, ignoring Nagisa's 'I told you'. "Do you know what happened to Makoto?"

"A bit." Haru replied. "I'll talk to him tomorrow."

"You go to Makoto's house?" Nagisa asked, sounding more normal and childish.

"S-Sometimes..."

"Haru you're so cool!"

"So you're finally back to normal?"

"Shut up."

--

The next day, Haru found himself on the front steps of Makoto's house. Taking a deep breath, the dark-haired boy knocked on the door, hoping that Makoto would answer.

Sadly, it was only his mom.

"What can I do for you, dear?" Mrs. Tachibana asked, with a cheerful grin.

"I want to see Makoto..."

"Are you seeing him?"

Why does everybody say that? Haru blushed a bit.

"No, I'm his friend, Haruka Nanase."

Makoto's mom giggled. "Just friends? Makoto has taken quite a liking to you."

"R-Really?"

"You're all he talks about. Haruka this Haruka that. Although lately..."

"He's been acting a bit off." Haru finished.

"You noticed?"

"Can I go see him?"

"He said he wanted to be left alone for the weekend."

"I'm worried about him." Haru pleaded. "I'm worried something happened. Please let me see him."

Mrs. Tachibana smiled, opening the door for Haru. "Take good care of my son, okay?"

"I will." Haru promised, taking off his shoes and going in.

He rushed upstairs, to where Makoto's room was.

"Tachibana?" Haru called.

No response. He then tried knocking on the door. Still no response.

He doesn't have to ignore me like that... Haru sighed, fiddling with the door knob,  then noticing that it was unlocked. He shrugged, opening the door.

"Makoto I'm coming i... Makoto?"