Chapter 25

I couldn't sleep at all that night and neither could Cole. I don't blame him though. Having a battle sooner than I thought is a lot to put om someone's plate. It was probably at least 3:15 a.m when I went in the kitchen for a snack. Cole on the other hand went out to hunt. Connor was pretty calm about it as long as he had Sage in his arms. They remind me of a younger version of me and Cole when I first started working here. I'd be okay as long as I was with him. I just worry that they will last. They just got engaged and Connor is about to fight and possibly get killed. If he does Cole and I are willing to give her a place to stay so she can recover from her loss. If it's the other way around, I don't know what's gonna happen. Hopefully nothing happens to us. I grabbed a cup and poured some water in it and some ice. Then grabbed an apple and covered it in peanut butter. This always helped me calm down as a kid and I hope it still works now. I took a bite of the apple and instantly began to feel better. Then took a sip of the water to relieve the stress. Everything feels better with apples and water. I heard footsteps and saw a figure walk into the kitchen. The smell of roses and tulips filled the air. Jessica. She turned the light on and looked at me. 

"Hey mom", she said. 

"Hi. Why aren't you sleeping?", I asked. 

"Can't sleep", she said grabbing some juice. 

"Why what's wrong?", I asked. 

"I'm just scared of what's gonna happen. Dad and his friend are gonna be risking their life just to protect us. We can't do anything about it can we? What's gonna happen if we loose dad?", she asked. 

"I don't know but I can assure you nothing will happen to your dad or me", I said. 

"I know but I'm still worried. I've heard the stories that if vampires battle for something, one of the highest vampires die", she said. 

"Those are just stories. Your father told you to many scary stories when you were younger. Tell you what, why don't you go and get one of our old family photos and put it in the locket grandma Anna gave you for your birthday a few years back and wear it tomorrow in case something happens to one of us so you'll have something to remember us by", I said. 

"Okay. I'm gonna go back to bed. Love you", she said. 

"Love you too", I said. 

She quickly finished her juice and went back upstairs. I did the same after I finished my snack. Cole was back by the time I got upstairs. I climbed into bed and as a reflex he put his arm around me.

"Where were you?", he asked. 

"In the kitchen. I had to get a snack", I replied. 

He turned to face me and kissed my forehead. He took my hand and played with my fingers. 

"I don't want anything to happen to you", I said. 

"He can't hurt me. I'll hurt him before he even touches me", he said. 

"Still. Even Jessica's worried about what's gonna happen to us", I said. 

"Nothing will happen to us. Believe me", he said. 

"I believe you", I said. 

"Good. You need to get some rest" he said. 

"Alright. Goodnight", I said. 

I closed my eyes and let darkness consume me...