Chapter 2- Aching Hearts

Harry didn't know why the idea of Hermione and George together bothered him so much, but it did. It shouldn't have, but it did, so much to the point where he wanted to launch himself into the living room and interrupt their conversation by throwing Hermione up and over his shoulder and running out of the room with her. He was almost positive that George had taken Hermione into the living room to ask her to the back to school ball. And then she would say yes and Harry would... and Harry would go with Ginny, and push aside whatever reasons were making him want to keep Hermione and George apart to the side and bury them. He wanted his best friend to be happy.

George came back into the kitchen a moment later, alone now, looking extremely pleased. He swipes the bottle off of the counter and wags it in front of Ron's nose.

"She's going with me now, Ronnykins." George says. Ron gets to his feet, indignant.

"You can't put love potion in her drink! She needs to fall for the person she loves on her own, not by force!" Ron glares at his brother, who simply smirks.

"I know Ron. But, there's one little thing I probably should tell you..." He trails off for a moment before launching into speech. "It's just that I didn't use love potion, I actually put sugar in her cocoa, and it looks exactly like this powdered love potion. And, if you don't believe me, have a taste yourself." He tosses the bottle over to Ron, who catches it as if it were the Quaffle in a Quidditch match.

Ron opens the cork and tips a bit of the powder onto his tongue, before nodding in agreement. "It's sugar."

"I know it is, you git." George says, and then feigns hurt. "I can't believe you actually thought I would use a potion on Hermione! I'm devastated that you think so low of me." He turns around, walking out the kitchen door. "Oh, and by the way, I don't need a love potion to ask her to the ball, even if you might." He calls over his shoulder before disappearing around the corner.

Harry slumps back down into his seat, a feeling somewhat close to a deflated balloon inside of his chest. "That git." Ron mutters under his breath. "Made me think he's used a bloody love potion on her. All I wanted was for her to be able to choose on her own."

"You reckon George went to ask her to the ball?"

Ron turns to look at Harry, and odd look on his face. "Yeah. You seem kind of down, you alright? Want to play a game of chess to get your spirits up?"

Harry shakes his head. "Nah... I think I'm going to go find Ginny, actually." And then he gets to his feet and walks out after George, struggling to push the undefined hurt from his heart.

~~~~~

A large willow tree sat near the garden at the Burrow, and Hermione often came here to sit and read on nice days. Occasionally, when the weather was bad but she absolutely didn't want to go inside, she would sit under the branches, which offered protection to her from almost any weather. She sat there now, pondering what on earth George had wanted to talk to her about... but she had a feeling it had something to do with the ball that was taking place at Hogwarts.

Hermione thought that this conclusion was rather extreme- George had lost Fred and a lot of other loved ones recently, just as she had, and she didn't really think he would be looking for a relationship right now. Even in the old days at Hogwarts finding a girlfriend had never really been a priority for the twins, though they flirted with girls constantly. But even if he was to ask her to the ball, she wasn't sure if she wanted to go with him. She was afraid she may be starting to fancy someone else, an if she was, that wasn't good. He was already in a happy relationship and didn't need this drama stirring up. Maybe she should go with George, just to get her mind off of him. But there was still a part of her that didn't want to go at all...