Chapter 41- The Man On The Phone

"I brought firewhisky." Ron said as he entered through the front door with Luna.

Luna gazed at him thoughtfully. "I do wonder if the reason Hermione's interview man didn't hire her was because his brain was clouded with Nargles." She catches them all staring at her and smiles. "They are known for slowing proper and reasonable thinking."

"Exactly." Harry says.

Ron looks over at him incredulously. "You think the answer to this is Nargles?"

Harry shakes his head. "No not that part... Luna said something about proper and reasonable thinking- and she's exactly right. Even a fool would know how smart it is to hire Hermione as an Auror... so why didn't he?"

Ron taps his head. "Nargles."

Just then the front door opens, and Hermione comes into view, clutching groceries in her hands. She raises an eyebrow at them all, surprised to see everyone gathering in the living room. "So is this going to become a regular thing then? You both just hanging around over here?"

Ron smiles. "Duh."

She shakes her head and turns to the dining room, where she sets the grocery bags on the table and starts to unload all of the food. "I bought some Mac and Cheese for Teddy... I might as well make him some, don't you think? It's nearly one..."

After setting the milk in the fridge, she shuts the door and leaves for Teddy's room, where he was playing with his toys.

Ron frowns as soon as she'd disappeared. "She doesn't even sound upset."

Harry rubs his face with his hands. "I know. That's why it's killing me- she's normally so open, you know? And here she is, acting like she doesn't mind not getting the job she worked so hard for."

When Hermione returns, she has Teddy in her arms. "Hey Harry?"

"Yeah?"

"Would you mind putting something on the TV for Teddy? I need to make his lunch." She asks, setting him down on the small space in the couch beside Harry.

Harry nods, but as soon as Hermione enters the kitchen, Ron speaks. "I got Teddy- go talk to Hermione."

"Thanks, mate." Harry gets up and follows where Hermione had gone, and when he enters their tiny kitchen, he sees her busying herself with work, dumping noodles into a boiling pot and stirring. When she turns around, she jumps.

"Merlin, Harry, you scared me." She says, and then she leans back onto the counter. "Now go ahead, say it."

Harry frowns. "Say what?"

Hermione drops her voice, pretending to be Harry. " 'Hermione, are you alright? I know that not getting the job must have been hard for you.' "

Harry cracks a smile and takes one of her palms, running his thumb over her smooth skin. "Well. Are you?"

She looks down at their hands. "Nope."

"I'm sorry."

She shakes her head. "Not your fault."

"That doesn't mean I can't be sorry."

The corner of her mouth tilts up. "Do you ever think about how kind you are?"

"Don't change the subject."

She lets out a rush of air. "What is there to say? I wasn't good enough. That's that, we're moving on."

Harry shakes his head. "No. I'm not going to let you act like there isn't anything wrong."

She smiles at him thinly. "You don't have to let me- I'll do it anyways." She turns back to the noodles, giving them a final stir before adding the cheese. "Would you please go get Teddy?" She says, with finality in her voice.