Chapter Four: Phone Call

I hurried to meet up with Leo and Sebastian after fifth period. Finally, I could go home and escape Sam. But of course, there was still the gap from my photography elective class and the car park. Werewolves from Zac's pack growled at me as I walked past them. He hadn't taken long to spread the word that there was another encounter between the two of us. I rolled my eyes and ignored them. It was their Alpha's fault. I hadn't started it, he did. No doubt Zac had told them a lie, saying I'd provoked him. He was always pushing my buttons, like he was forcing me to shift. I wouldn't mind taking him down a peg or two. But what could a weak female horse shifter do to a strong male werewolf? "You don't belong with us. You are no match against all the werewolves in this school." One she-wolf growled as she walked past me.

"Attack our Alpha again and it'll be the last time." Another said. They were coming out of nowhere, all these werewolves from the pack Zac was Alpha of. I whimpered and took a detour, hurrying towards the woods, pulling my phone out of my pocket and calling Leo.

"Hello? Cj? Where are you?" He asked.

"I... I'm not coming back with the two of you. I need to clear my head. I'm walking back in my horse form. I'll be home as soon as. Bye."

"Cj wa-" I hung up before he could finish and sprinted down the stairs and pushed open the door, dropping my phone.

"Shit!" I cursed, picking it up and whimpering at the crack. I frowned and slid the phone into my back pocket and continuing to the woods.

"Cj!" Someone called and I turned around to see Sam.

"No!" I whispered harshly. I kept running. The sound of paws pounding on the ground set alarm bells off in my head and I stopped, looking around. 'Cj! Get out of here!' Dawn screamed in my head.

"Cj, look out!" Sam shouted. I paused for a second, then looked at him. He was running towards me in his wolf form. I heard a growl from behind and turned. Screaming, I fell to the floor, a grey wolf jumping over me, landing with a thud on the other side. I got up and started running into the woods, hearing the two wolves following me. My heart thumped in my chest and fear flooded my body, my brain screaming at me to run and get away, Dawn too.

I began panting - hyperventilating. Crying and running did nothing to help. I wanted vanish, so neither of them would find me - disappear into thin air and pretend I never existed. The grey wolf had caught up to me and with a snarl, it leaped in front of me, cutting me off. I halted straightaway, the momentum almost made me fall backwards, onto my butt. The snow didn't help, but I caught myself. It snarled again and the scent hit me like a brick. It was Zac.

Sam leaped into the scene and stood in between me and Zac, snarling at Zac and trying to glace at me. He put one ear back. "I'm alright." I whispered. Sam turned his full attention to Zac after hearing I was okay. Zac and Sam began fighting and I shrieked, moving away from them. On top of the sound of my heart beating fast, pumping blood around my body and my harsh breathing; growls, snarls, whimpers and other noises filled the air.

I sat against the tree, crying my eyes out. Sam and Zac disappeared and I didn't know where they went. Few patches of snow had turned a faint red, from blood. I pulled out my phone and went into my contacts, intent of calling Leo but I paused on one contact - home. It wasn't home as in where I was living now, with Sebastian and Leo. It was home home, my herd. I paused, debating with myself whether to call them or not, then I clicked on it and put the phone to my ear, holding my breath. Someone picked up on the eighth ring. "Hello?" A male voice answered. I froze, unable to move. Unable to talk. "Hello? Who is this?" I stayed silent, tears spilling out of my eyes. "Answer me god dammit!" I still stayed silent. "Stupid prank callers! Don't ca-"