Chapter Twenty-Four: Bad Dream, or Vision?

The further I walked, the more empty I felt. This was a mistake, the little remnants of a voice in my head whispered. It wasn't Dawn, though I wished it to be. It was my own thought. The conflicting one. The one that made you feel guilty for what ever you've done. Light started to chase off the darkness, the sun making its appearance, but the cold air violently bit at my bare flesh. My teeth chattered fiercely and I shivered violently, all my shifter abilities - never feeling cold, enhanced senses - gone.

I was tired and weak, my feet ached from hours of nonstop walking and I was hungry and thirsty, so terribly thirsty. Each swallow was like a knife cutting my sore, dry throat. I was exhausted mentally and physically, I wanted to stop. Or to turn around and go back to the pack, to Leo and Sebastian; to Sam's warm embrace.

But I couldn't stop. I couldn't turn around. I needed to distance myself. Once I could shift, I'd get out quicker. But until then, I was only human, trekking on foot, in pure agony. My heart ached but I kept Sam firmly shut out of the mate link, ignoring the pokes and prods at the mental wall I'd put up. He had to stay out. He had to stay away. He had to let go.

I'm so glad I have you back.

The echo of his words were almost haunting now. I concentrated on him, his alluring, warm blue eyes. They way they looked at me, full of raw emotion. Remembering it brought tears to my eyes. 'I love you, Cj. Please come back. Don't go.'

I had let the wall down, but quickly shut it again, kicking him out. All I got was silence. Emptiness. Nothing.

I heard a trickle of water and stood up straighter, pausing. It came from my right. I turned, my desperate need for water making itself intensely known. I turned, and quickly walked toward the sound. I found a new burst of energy, knowing there was relief. I was getting closer. It was getting louder. I broke through a bush and fell to my hands and knees, cupping water in my hands and bringing it to my mouth, slurping it up until my thirst was quenched. Feeling the cool water slip down my throat relaxed my tense body, and I sat back after I downed enough water, remembering Sam - what he had said.

I grabbed my phone out of my pocket and clicked on his name, sending a audio message. "I love you." I whispered into the receiver and clicked send. I blinked away my tears, not wanting to let them fall. They dispersed and I felt no emotions again. I was numb.

Standing, I held my phone out, dropping it into the water, watching it sink to the bottom. The screen lit up with Sam's ID, then it died, the water killing it. I continued to stare at it for a moment before I returned to the road and continued on my journey, a new persona about me.

I was numb.

Yet still angry.

And determined.

I was ready to kill without a second thought. And I would kill anyone who stood in my way. I'd lay low for a while. Then I'd be back. And I was going to destroy Zac.

Even if it killed me too.

~*~

The hours ticked by, the freezing cold replaced with some warmth. I remained stone cold, soldiering on, tense and ready to jump into a fight with anything - and anyone - who attacked. I was no longer afraid. I had nothing else to lose. "Come find me, Zac. Hide-n-seek begins." I taunted the darkening sky, turning off to my left to find a place to sleep. I could feel tingles run through my body, and my senses became stronger. A flicker of hope coursed through my veins and I pictured my wolf form, accepting the power that morphed my body into a wolf.

But still no Dawn.

I couldn't sit in sorrow, I needed food. I could smell a rabbit, hear it wandering around. My stomach rumbled and I stalked low to the ground, sneaking up to it. I stayed downwind and waited for my moment. Then I pounced. It struggled between my jaws, then went limp and I devoured it hungrily. It wasn't enough to satisfy, but it was enough for now.

I found a spot to sleep, and curled up in a ball, covering my nose with my tail to keep it warm. My body instantly relaxed and I closed my eyes, waiting for sleep to consume me.

His face showed a feral grin, as his hand grasped another guys throat. He was familiar, they both were. But the one held captive, it was... 'Sam!' I shouted. But it was no use, no one acknowledged my existence.

'If you want to save him, Cj. Turn yourself in.'

I stood up quickly and growled, my hackles raising and I looked around. I was alone. It was a dream. The sun was high in the sky, I slept for ages. Shifting back to my human form, I sighed and placed a hand to my head. It ached, a headache forming. 'Cj!'

"Dawn!" I cried, happy and relieved to have her back. "I want to apologise for every-"

'No time! Sam's in trouble! We need to go back! Leo and Sebastian are too!' She said, cutting me off.

"Wh-" before I could finish, she forced a shift and I shook out my mane, stretching.

'Hurry, Cj. We must hurry.' I jumped into a canter until I hit the road.

Edited 02/12/2017