Chapter Fourteen: Unlikely Help

I couldn't stop shivering. My teeth wouldn't stop clattering. 'Cj, you have to get up. You have to get warm.'

"N-oh." I stuttered out while my teeth were clattering. I was terribly cold, and wet. It was still raining and I was drenched from head to toe and I felt like a popsicle. "H-how d-d-do p-polar b-bears d-do th-is?"

'Layers of fat and fur, I suppose. Like certain forms you have.' I growled but it didn't sound like a growl with my constant shivering. Goosebumps covered the bare sections of my skin and even the bits that were covered, and I was starting to feel numb. Inside and out. 'Please,'

I sighed. "Al-right. We'll g-go home." I slowly stood up but it wasn't easy, I could hardly move. "It'll b-be a l-long walk b-back, Dawn. I l-literally feel f-frozen."

'Just as long as we're home.' I stayed silent. I couldn't hurt her too. She had been with me since day one, she had been the one keeping me going. She had been the one to give me strength when I needed it most. I couldn't let her down by trying to kill us both. I had to use trees to keep me standing, I was unstable, my legs felt like jelly. Maybe I wouldn't get back. Half of me was happy, the other half was sad. I never got to say goodbye to Sam, or Leo, or Sebastian; or the girls, or Mia. Maybe this was my punishment for what ever I did to make Sam not want to talk to me. What did I do? We usually got over this by talking to each other. Why had it changed? My shivering and teeth clattering grew worse when I was walking through the snow. I was too weak to even shift into one of my forms. I fell forward and didn't bother getting up. 'Come on, Cj. You have to get up.' Dawn said in my head.

"I can't." I sobbed, tears leaking from my eyes but I couldn't feel them on my cheeks. "Sam," I whispered tearfully. "Where are you? I need you."

'Cj, you have to. Come on. You can do it. No one knows where we are. Come on. Get up. Please get up.'

"Sorry." I whispered and curled up in a ball, sobbing to myself. Maybe he didn't really care. Maybe I was just blinded by my stupid heart's feelings towards him. Maybe it was all just in my head. Maybe he never did love me. Maybe I imagined all those times he said he loved me. Maybe I was just stupid.

Maybe I should just let myself die.

"Cj, hang in there." Was it Sam? "I'll get you back to Sam." I cried even harder. No, it wasn't Sam. He didn't come. He doesn't care.

He never did.

I was an idiot.

I slowly opened my eyes and blinked them until they adjusted to the light. I forced my body to cooperate and let me sit up, and it took a lot a coaxing until I finally sat up. The room looked like a hospital room and I was alone. Why wasn't I surprised? You'd think that after I was on the road to my death bed, Sam would at least be here. Sebastian and Leo, I couldn't be mad at. They'd always been there for me. I heard someone shouting out Mark's name along with, "Sam", "Sebastian" and "Fight". I dragged myself out of the pack hospital and outside, following the commotion. I heard growls and snarls. What was happening? I broke through the small crowd and gasped. Sam and Sebastian had both shifted and they were currently circling each other. They both had blood on them so they'd been fighting for a little bit. I walked over to them and glared at the two of them. I was angry.

Sebastian drooped his ears a bit and dropped his gaze, knowing he was in trouble with me. I nodded at him and looked at Sam, glaring at him harder than I did with Sebastian. "Shift back! Both of you! Now!" I growled and they listened. Sam continued to growl at Sebastian and I stood in between, backing up towards Sebastian. Leo and Zac stood to the side, as did Mark, Marley and a few other pack members. "What the hell do you think you are doing?" I shouted at both of them.