Chapter Twenty-Three: Broken Promise

~ Cj ~

"Get up." Someone whispered, nudging my arm gently. I mumbled a disapproving 'go away' and swatted the hand away. I wanted to sleep. "Cj, wake up. We need to leave before they catch up."

A heavy sigh escaped my lips and I opened my eyes, giving Leo a groggy glare before yawning. I sat up and stretched, enjoying the feeling as my muscles loosened up after sleeping on the cold stone ground. I glanced out the cave entrance and looked at the sky. It was a mixture of orange, pink and purple as nightfall was approaching and I knew we wouldn't make it home before dark, but Leo was right, we had to keep the distance between us. Zac would know that we were gone by now, I could sense it. His anger, it picked at my nerves and made me shudder. "Okay, let's go." The three boys were already up, waiting for me. I stood, dusting off my clothes and the four of us walked out of the cave.

"We checked around in case Zac had found out sooner than we'd hoped and was hot on our tails but we couldn't pick up his scent. We're safe as long as we keep moving." Sebastian said and I nodded, following the three males as they turned and headed in the chosen direction, Sebastian and Leo leading. They knew what they were doing. This was our life ever since we met; running. My eyes fixed on Sam's large wolf form and a frown crept onto my lips. I had to leave him. There was a chill in the air, biting at my arms and I stifled the sound of my chattering teeth. My jaw ached from the forced tension of my teeth being pressed together for a long time but I ignored it. I didn't care that I was cold, I didn't care that we were running away from danger. The one thing that constantly taunted me was knowing I had to lose Sam. I had just got him back, and I had to go. To save everyone. The pack, Leo, Sebastian, Sam... and me. We knew who the enemy was now. We knew who we were running from. Now we just had to disappear. To truly become the Shadow Trio and vanish again.

I knew Sam would want to come with us but I couldn't allow that. I already put Sebastian and Leo through so much, I couldn't do that to Sam too, even if he was my mate. Especially since he was my mate. I mentally sighed. I had to brace myself for what was to come. Another agonising heartbreak was sure to be a consequence for this decision. Sam knew I was leaving but actually walking away was going to tear us both apart.

But it had to happen. It was the only way he'd be safe. Truly safe.

Dawn? I mentally sought out my horse. It felt like ages since I last spoke to her, since I was last on good terms with her. I felt hollow. Empty. She wasn't there. I couldn't feel her. I couldn't hear her. I felt torn in two and incomplete. "Sebastian. You and Sam take up the front. Sam knows the way back to the pack better than us." Sebastian, who had shifted into his panther form, nodded and he and Sam took position up front while Leo slowed to match his pace with mine. "What's wrong?" He whispered, looking at me with pure concern. "I've been glancing back at you for over an hour. You're not completely here."

I looked at him, blinking once, trying to stop the oncoming wave of tears that threatened my eyes. But it was no use. I had to look away. "I can't feel Dawn. It's like she's just... disappeared. I feel weird. I feel..." I locked eyes with him, gazing deeply into his green eyes. "...human."

He frowned, his eyes casting a distanced look, almost like he was in a trance, before he came out of it and grimly looked at me. "It must be the serum. There better be a fix for it."

I nodded. "Zac's mother said it will wear off eventually. Within a day or two."

"Well that's good news." He said, smiling. I didn't return it and he frowned again. "It'll all be okay. We'll get through this. We always do." I sighed and rested my head on his shoulder as he walked and he put his arm around me, rubbing mine in an attempt to offer some comfort. It wouldn't be okay until everything was back to normal, like when I first met Sam. When I finally forgave him. When we were happy. When I was happy. Dawn was on the same side as me and she was still there, Sam and I were as perfect as we could be and Zac wasn't much of a bother. It was right. It felt right. But now, everything was wrong.