Chapter 1

*Beep Beep Beep*

I groaned at the sound of my alarm ringing. This is the stupidest human invention ever, I thought to myself as I tiredly peeled my eyes open. I flicked my fingers towards my alarm clock, and it immediately stopped ringing. I got out of bed, and got ready for my first day at my new human school. My first day at school, as a witch.

Oh yes, you heard me right. I, Tessa Gray, was a witch. My family was too, well, my father and brother were warlocks. My mother and I were witches, as was my aunt. I had been alive for many years, three hundred to be exact. My kind were immortal. I looked seventeen, since that was what I wanted myself to look like. It was quite nice to be able to choose your age.

I walked downstairs and joined my mother, father, and my older brother Nate at the kitchen table. My mother had made pancakes. You're probably wondering, if we were warlocks and witches, why was I going to school? My family and I got banished from the magic world. My brother had done too many infractions and done bad things, so we were exiled to the human world. Here in the human world, we aged, it was quite sad. We had no idea how long we would be here. My parents had been furious at Nate, but they were a bit better now.

"Good morning, Tessie." My father smiled. "Ready for your first day?"

I shrugged. "I've been to school before."

"Why would you want to go again?" Nate piped up.

"The last time I stepped foot in a school was centuries ago. Plus, I want to see what human school is like." I replied.

"Who knows, you might meet someone special there." My mother grinned.

In all of my three hundred years of living, I had never been in love. Sure, I had had flings here and there, but I had never been in love. Never felt that special pull to someone. It got lonely, and sometimes I thought I would never find that someone. Nate had a girlfriend - Jessamine - but she was back in the magic world.

"You know she can't fall in love with a mortal." Nate said.

It wasn't against the law to fall in love with a human, but it was looked down upon. If you fell in love with a human and wanted to stay with them, you had to live in the human world and give up your powers. Only a few people in magic history had ever done that. Soon, I bid goodbye to my family, and got into my car. I drove to my new school, and parked my car. I actually wasn't nervous.

I knew that I could always magic up myself some friends if worse came to worst. Technically, I wasn't supposed to use magic here, but it was only Nate they cared about. I walked into the school, and to the office where a lady behind a desk gave me my locker number. Number 1265, I read in my head, and started to walk away. As I walked, I saw a red headed girl talking to two black haired girls.

"Ugh, I have no idea where I put my math homework." The red haired girl said, looking panicked. "Mrs. Lougheed is going to kill me if I don't have it. I forgot it last class, too."

I watched the girl for a second, and then made a split second decision. I waved my fingers and said a silent spell, and then her math homework was in my hands. I walked up to the girls.

"Excuse me, is this yours? It was on the floor." I started.

The redhead took the paper and looked down at it. "It's my homework! Oh, thank you."

"Are you new here? I've never seen you before." One of the black haired girls asked me. She had bright blue eyes.

"Yeah, today's my first day." I replied.

"My name is Cecily Herondale." The girl said, smiling.

"Isabelle Lightwood." The other black haired girl said.

"And I'm Clary Fairchild." The redhead replied.

"I'm Tessa Gray." I smiled. "Do you know where locker 1265 is?"

"Oh, that's right here." Isabelle smiled, gesturing to the one beside Clary's

"Thanks." I replied, and started to put my things in it.

"What's your first class?" Clary asked.

"English with Mr. Martin." I read from my schedule.

"Oh! You have it with me." Cecily grinned.

I only smiled. It looked like I had sort of made friends already. We all talked for a bit longer, and the three girls were actually really nice. Cecily had a twin brother and a cousin who went to this school, and Isabelle had a twin brother who went to this school, too, and two cousins. It was kind of freaky how similar their families were. Clary had an older brother, but he was in university.

I then told them I was going to use the washroom, and they told me where it was. I walked away from them, and smiled to myself. So far, school was going okay. Maybe I would even--I suddenly walked straight into someone. You would think that being a witch would limit my clumsiness, but alas no. I was the clumsiest person I knew. It was actually concerning.

"Sorry." I apologized, looking up at the person I had just walked into.

I had seen a lot people in my lifetime.

I had been to almost every country, and every city in the world. I had see millions of faces, and people, but never in my life had I ever seen a face like this. This face was a face so beautiful, that it seemed to to cast the drabness of the school hallways away. This face was so perfectly carved and shaped, that it didn't seem real. Hair darker than the night, and eyes the bluer than the ocean and sky combined. For the first time in my life, I felt myself lost for words.

"Sorry, babe." The boy grinned.

I blinked a few times, surprised by the name. "That's okay."

The boy then grinned at me again, and then walked away. I slowly walked on, processing what had just happened. I had never felt like that ever in my life, and I had been living for a long time. I shook my head, trying to clear my mind. I had a feeling that this new school was going to bring me a lot of surprises.