Chapter 3

I walked into my house after school, feeling tired. My first day of school had been good, surprisingly, but I was glad to be home. I closed the door behind me, and I was greeted by my black cat, Belle. I had gotten her from a magic shop in Paris, in 1903. She was immortal, just like me, so we would be together for a long time. Belle was very fond of Jem's cat, Church.

"How was it then?" She purred. Oh yeah, did I mention she could talk?

"Good, I made friends." I walked into the kitchen, and she followed me.

"Did you meet any boys?" She asked.

I rolled my eyes, amused. "Yes. I did. And before you ask, no, I don't have a crush on any of them."

"Don't rush." Belle hopped up onto the kitchen table. "You have forever. Nous sommes infinis."

I smiled. She loved to speak french. "Yes, we are."

My mother then walked into the kitchen, followed by Magnus Bane. Magus was a close friend of my family's. I had known him ever since I could remember, he was much older than I was. He came by to visit us every so often.

"Hey Magnus." I smiled.

Tessa, my dear, always a pleasure." Magnus grinned. "How was your human school?"

"Good. I made friends." I said casually. "What are you doing here in London?"

"Visiting old friends." He replied. Your family was included. You should feel honoured."

My mother laughed. "We always are. Oh Tessa, Jem left a water message for you."

The most common way of communication in the magic world, was a water message. Basically, you write a message and put it in water, say a spell, and then it's delivered to the person you want it to go to. Every witch or warlock has a bowl of water that they keep at their house, and that's where the messages go. I walked over to ours, and sure enough there was a note sitting in the bowl. I pulled it out of the water, but neither my hand nor the paper was wet. I began to read:

Tessa,

How are you? I've been terribly bored here without you. Church is absolutely dying without Belle, and I think he actually might be in some sort of cat depression. If that's possible, of course. I miss our daily duets. It feels weird to play my violin, without hearing you on the piano. How was your first day at school? Made any friends? I bet you they won't compare to me, though. Just kidding! (not), you've probably met amazing people because how could you not? You're Tessa Gray. Anyways, write me back soon!

Miss you,

Jem.

I smiled at the letter. Typical Jem. I walked up to my room, and wrote back to Jem. I told him about Clary, Cecily, and Isabelle and how nice they were, and I even found myself telling him about Will, though I wasn't sure there was much to say about him. I kept finding myself thinking about Will, and I wasn't sure why. It was strange to think about any boy other than Jem and Nate. I quickly finished off the note, and sent it to him. I then laid down on my bed, and scooped up Belle in my arms.

"Jem says that Church is missing you." I teased.

"I miss him." Belle purred. "Quite a lot."

I sighed. "I know, I miss Jem."

My phone then buzzed, and I grabbed it. It was a text from Cecily, to a group with Clary, her, and Isabelle.

Cecily Herondale: Do you guys wanna come over? I'm so bored.

Isabelle Lightwood: Sure be there in 10 :)

Clary Fairchild: Same.

Cecily Herondale: What about you Tessa?

Me: Okay sounds fun :)

I grabbed my purse, put on a sweater, and then walked out of my room. I shouted to my mother that I was going out, and then left my house. I didn't really need to tell my mother where I was going - I hadn't for years and years - but now that we lived together again, it felt weird not to. Cecily texted me the directions to her house, and within a few minutes, I arrived. Her house was huge and my eyes widened at the sight of it. I knocked on the door, and Will opened it.

"Cecy invited you, I'm guessing?" He sounded amused.

"Yeah." I replied, and he let me in.

Will lead me to the living room where Clary, Isabelle, Cecily, and Jace all sat. I took a seat beside Clary, and Will took one beside Jace.

"How long have you all known each other?" I started, curiously.

"I've know Cecy since we were eight. We met Clary when we were twelve." Isabelle replied.

"Oh for awhile, then." I smiled. "That must be nice."

Clary smiled brightly. "It is. What about you? What's your best friend's name?"

I smiled sadly. "James, but everyone calls him Jem. We've been best friends forever. He's my favourite person in the world."

"Are you dating him?" Will asked.

I shook my head. "We did for awhile, but then broke it off. We're just as close, though."

"Is he hot?" Isabelle giggled.

"You have a boyfriend, Izzy." Jace sounded amused.

"You do?" I asked. "What's his name?"

"Simon." Isabelle smiled. "He's on a vacation right now."

"Are any of dating anyone else?" I asked curiously.

"I'm dating Jace." Clary blushed, and he smirked at her.

"And I'm dating Gabriel, Izzy's cousin." Cecily replied.

"I can't imagine why." Will scowled.

Cecily narrowed her eyes. "Because we both like each other, William."

"What about you?" I looked at Will. "Are you dating anyone?"

He scoffed, looking amused. "I don't date."

"No, he only likes to fuck every girl in our grade." Isabelle picked at her nails, looking bored.

Will seemed like the kind of boy to do that, and I found myself not feeling surprised. With a face like his, it wasn't shocking that he got all of the girls. Will smirked at me, and I blushed slightly. I knew that he would try to get me in bed with him, but I was much smarter than that. I was virgin even after three hundred years. I just wanted to lose my virginity to someone special, not some one night stand. Plus, my kind weren't even supposed to be in romantic relationships with humans.

Maybe I should stay away from Will, I thought to myself. I looked at him, to see him studying me, an unreadable expression on his face. He really was beautiful. As I looked at him, I had a feeling that staying away from him would be harder than I thought.