Chapter 22

The week went by quickly, and before I knew it I was waking up on Saturday morning. I sat up tiredly, to see Belle sitting on my bed looking at me, expectantly.

"What is it?" I asked.

"How is your black haired beauty?" She inquired.

I laughed. "Please tell me you did not just call him that."

"Oui, I did. Is it not true?" Belle purred.

I chuckled. "It is. He's fine."

"That's it? Only fine?" Belle asked. "You're boring." She teased.

She then leapt off my bed and walked out of my room. I got out of my bed, and got ready for the day. I walked downstairs to see my mother, father, and Nate sitting at the kitchen table. I greeted them, and took my seat.

"So, has there been any word on when we're going back to the magic world?" Nate asked.

"No, but I think it'll be soon. We've already been here for a few months." My father replied.

I felt my insides freeze up. Just the thought of leaving made me feel sick.

"It's quite a shame, actually. I've met some very nice people here." My mother said.

"Me too." I said quietly, and then spoke up. "How many people have ever left the world to be with a human?"

My father looked alarmed. "Why? Are you thinking about it?"

"No, of course not." I said quickly. "I was just wondering."

"Well, it's pretty rare. Not a lot of witches or warlocks want to give up the lifestyle we have. The people who do must love the person a lot to give it all up." My father said, while sipping his coffee.

"Thank god Jessamine's a witch. I don't think I could've given up everything to be with her." Nate said.

"You don't love her that much to do it?" I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Of course I do. I just think it would take me a long time to make the decision. I'd be worried that I would regret it." Nate replied.

"If you really loved her that much you wouldn't regret it." I pointed out.

"I guess that's true." He replied, now looking uninterested in the topic.

I looked away from him and at my parents. My father was reading the newspaper, looking distracted, but my mother was looking at me, deep in thought. I quickly looked away from her and continued to eat my scrambled eggs. After breakfast, I went back up to my room, feeling a bit sad over Will. I sat on my bed, and then my mother was suddenly standing in my doorway. She closed the door behind her, and took a seat beside me.

"Who is it?" She asked softly.

"Who is what?" I asked dumbly, though I already knew what she was going to say.

"Who is the human that you want to give up your powers for?" She asked gently.

I sighed, and dug my fingernails into my palm. "How did you know?"

"C'mon Tessa, I'm your mother, I could tell as soon as you brought it up." My mother tucked a strand of my hair behind my car.

"It's -- it's Will." I said weakly.

"The black haired boy? Oh Tessie, he's very handsome." My mother smiled. "He seems like a very nice boy."

"He told me he loves me." I whispered sadly. "And I -- I love him."

"And are you two dating?" She asked.

I shook my head. "I told him what we are, and why I can't date him."

I felt tears well in my eyes. "I don't know what to do, Mom. I love him so much, and I know that he loves me too, just as much. But I'm scared. I don't think I can give up everything for him, but then I feel like I can't live without him."

My mother looked sad. "Oh honey, I'm so sorry. This is horrible."

We were both silent for a few moments.

"You know, if you decide to stay here with him, I won't object. I'll miss you to pieces, but I could never hold you back from what you want." My mother spoke softly.

I sniffled. "Thank you, Mum."

She hugged me tightly, and I hugged her back. I was suddenly reminded of being five years old, and my mother bandaging up my cuts. My mother had always been there for me, whenever I needed her. After a few more minutes she left me to be with my thoughts. I laid back on my bed, and stayed there for an hour, just thinking. Then, there was a knock at my door.

"Come in." I called out.

I sat up, and my door opened. To my surprise, in walked Will. My eyes widened and I suddenly felt very self conscious about how I looked.

"Hey." He smirked, throwing himself down in my desk chair.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" I asked, still surprised.

Will shrugged. "Thought I'd come see you. Your mom let me in."

"Nice to know that you that you didn't try coming in through my window for once." I felt amused.

He laughed, grinning. "That's only for special occasions."

I chuckled and shook my head. "Okay, what's the real reason you're here?"

Will smirked, and stood up. "I was wanting to know if you wanted to go on a adventure with me."

I raised eyebrow. "I don't know if that's safe."

"Well to be fair nothing's safe with me, so that doesn't even matter." Will grinned.

"Where would we go?" I asked, intrigued.

He shrugged. "I don't know. Anywhere. As long as I'm with you, it'll be fun."

I blushed slightly, and sighed. "I don't know, Will."

He made an impatient noise. "Oh c'mon, Tess. Aren't you supposed to be really daring or some shit?"

I laughed. "Ehh, I guess."

"So then you should say yes." Will looked amused.

I sighed and stood up. "Alright, fine, I'll go on a adventure with you."

He grinned and suddenly I was in his arms. I gasped slightly, and he smirked.

"I love you." He whispered, his face centimetres away from mine.

"I love you, too." I replied, blushing.

Will only grinned, and kissed my cheek, and then let me go.

"Do I need to bring anything?" I asked.

"Nothing you can't get by magic." He said.

I sighed. "Please tell me this isn't a mistake."

He smirked. "I promise you this will be the best day of your life."

"I've lived a lot of days." I smiled, amused.

"And this one will be the best." Will grinned. "C'mon."

He held out his hand, and I stared down at it for a second. This could end horribly, I thought to myself, but I didn't care. As long as I was with Will, it would be okay.

I took his hand.