Chapter 12

Bethany's POV

Replicate

November.

I took a deep breath and let it out. I'm so nervous. It's been a year and three months since Melody's been in a coma and three months of Chris and I dating. I've been with him since day one of Melody's accident. Chris has such an amazing personality. It's hard not to fall in love with him. Yes, I'm in love with him. I haven't told him yet, but I want to. I'm waiting for him at the cafe by the hospital. We usually meet up here. It's become our spot. It's 3:03 PM. He said to meet him here at 3:00 PM and he's not here yet. I frowned and checked my phone to make sure the clock at the cafe was correct. It is. I have no new messages from him either. My heart stopped beating. Did Melody wake up....? I closed my eyes feeling the possible heart break. I never meant to take Chris "away" purposely... he just... I sighed, feeling the goosebumps rising.

I don't know. I just wanted to help him in the beginning. Honest. But as time passed, things changed. The more Chris and I talked the more I wanted him for myself. Melody is so lucky to have him. I hate that he can't love me the way he loves her. Or maybe he will... maybe he'll end up loving me... maybe he'll end up loving me more than he loves her. Maybe one day, I'll come first.

"Hey." Chris greeted me out of breath interrupting my thoughts. I smiled at him in relief. Melody hasn't woken up yet. I hate that I've come to enjoy her being in a coma.

"Hey you. You scared me." I said. He chuckled and gave me a peck on the lips that made my heart go wild.

"Sorry. I got held up at work." He rubbed his face. "We've been busy lately."

"That's good news. I got you coffee." I said pushing it forward.

"Thanks." He smiled grateful at me. "I was thinking about going to the hospital after this." He said to me. I squirmed. I hated that he still talked about her with me. This is our relationship and I would really like it if he would start afresh. "Sorry." He said after noticing my expression. I shrugged.

"I get it. She'll always come first." I said looking down at the rim of my coffee. "I just... I wish you would let us be more." He was about to interrupt me, but I continued. "I know we're in a relationship already. And I know that Melody will always come first. I just want you to stop reminding me that I'll be second best. I want you to focus on this relationship. We're really good together. At least I feel like we are. You make me happy, and I can tell a difference in you as well. These past few months have been great." I told him. He looked out the window towards the busy street. "But I feel like you always go back to talking about her. How are we supposed to be in a relationship and move on with our lives when all you do is talk about her?"

"I get it..." He said before looking back at me. "I'm sorry. I don't want you to feel that way. You've helped me... a lot. You've been there for me since the beginning." he sighed looking sad. I hated seeing him like this. I feel helpless with that look. I know that look. I know that feeling. "Thank you for that. I don't know how to ever repay you. You helped me find a part of myself without Melody..." He said looking back to the window. I don't know what to pick up from this. I don't know if I should be happy that I accomplished that or if I should be sad that he gave me a sad look when he said that. We stayed quiet for a minute before he continued. "I am happy... at least as happy as I think I can be." He said smiling at me genuinely.

"Chris..." I started, biting my lip. He took a sip of his coffee before looking at me expectantly. I looked at him, really looked at him. He's so handsome. And he's mine. At least he's mine right now.

"What?" He asked. I had to say it. I had to let it out.

"I... I love you Chris." I said to him. He looked shocked. He was about to say something, but I continued before he could. "I know you don't feel the same way... I just had to get it out. I hope that someday you will love me too." I finished. He stayed quiet making me nervous. Minutes passed and still nothing. I feel stupid. I shouldn't have said that. It's too soon for him.