Chapter 24

Expected

Jess' POV

Late August

We came to Central Park. All four of us. It's been a long time since we've enjoyed a good day.

"I want a hot dog." Daniel said once again. Chris groaned.

"We've been through this already. Dave is making food. He's invited everyone." He said.

"Yea... including ugly Beth." I sneered and threw a dirty look at Chris. Melody chuckled.

"Give him a break. He's hungry. Come on I'll go with you. These two can wait for us." Melody said, pulling away from Chris' hold. He frowned. She saw and kissed his lips.

"I'll be back." She whispered. I refrained from glaring at Chris. Daniel forced me to look at him.

"He'll do it soon." He whispered to me.

"It's about to be seven months!" I whispered back. "He can't continue lying to her, telling her he has to go to work when he actually goes to see her!" I whispered again. He gave me a look.

"I'll be back baby." He said giving me a kiss. "Be good."

"When is she ever good?" Melody asked as they walked away. I turned to look at Chris with a raised brow. He sighed.

"I know. Seven months. I've been keeping count." He sighed looking ashamed.

"Chris what are you doing?" I asked not bothering to yell. We both turned to look at the children running around in the grass.

"I don't know... not like I can explain it to you. You won't understand." He said shaking his head.

"Try me." I said, feeling in a semi good mood.

"I... look this is crazy but I love them both- don't give me that look. I know what you're thinking, 'that's not possible,' but... I don't know. They're both so different. With Bethany... it's not the same type of love. I care for her. I always will. She's a sweet girl, she was there for me when I was broken. She got me, she went through it herself. She would do anything to cheer me up. I can't just drop her like that. It feels wrong. After everything she's done for me. She doesn't deserve that. And I know it's wrong to do this to Melody. I just wanted time to.. I don't know. I thought it would be better with time... but I think I just made it worse." He said. I sighed.

"You're right... I don't get it. I don't get how you could be with Bethany this whole time. I would maybe have gotten it if it were just during the time Melody was in a coma. But you're... Chris you're cheating on Melody with Bethany! I don't get that! I don't get how you can love them both. That's not possible-" I stopped talking when I heard a gasp come from behind us. I didn't bother turning around. I was frozen. I think my heart stopped beating too. Chris on the other hand turned automatically.

"Melody-" I turned around when he stopped talking. She had a hand up telling him to stay quiet. Chris looked like he just signed his life away. Melody... looked confused, betrayed, hurt. She took in a shaky breath.

"Did- you- Bethany?" she said. She shook her head. And looked at me. There was a fire in her eyes.

"Melody-" she looked at him pointedly telling him to shut up.

"Is that true?" She asked in a small voice as she looked back at me. I opened and closed my mouth. "Is it true!?" She asked more loudly. I nodded. She shook her head and looked at Chris. "How could you-"

"Melody, let me explain-"

"This whole time! With my cousin? You- you're still with her?! What? Why? You were lying to me this whole time? How could you-"