Chapter 17

Jessica's POV

It's night time. I haven't gone back inside the room. I can't. Not yet. I'm down the street at the coffee shop watching people hurry across the sidewalk to get to their destination.

My phone started ringing. I closed my eyes tight trying to pretend it wasn't ringing. I'm tired. My emotions are everywhere. And being in that emotional room right now isn't helping me.

I shook my head. Stop being a pessimist Jessica! I'm being petty. I need to be there for Melody! I took a deep breath and pulled out my phone. Allan.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Where are you?" He asked sounding annoyed.

"Down the street at the coffee shop. Why? Is everything okay?" I asked getting worried.

"Chris is almost here. He called." He said. His voice sounded strained. "Can you please come back?" I chuckled bitterly. I think Allan and I are the ones who are mostly pissed at Chris for getting with Ugly Beth. Dave for some reason said he understood. What the hell is there to understand?

"I'll be there." I said and hung up. I sighed, getting up to go back to the hospital.

The elevator doors opened and I walked to her room. I opened it revealing Dave, Allan, and Daniel with a sleeping Melody.

"Hey." I greeted them all. You can tell the ambiance has changed. It wasn't too depressing anymore. I mean we still have a lot of things to deal with, but at least Melody is awake. They all nodded at me. "So what time is Chris getting here?" I asked to no one in particular.

"In a few minutes." Allan said. I nodded. Just then Melody groaned. I looked bewildered at Allan. Oh no. She opened her eyes looking at us all. She started moving her head making me want to smile. She's showing more improvement - they were very small movements, but it was something. She then started moving her arms slightly as well as her body. She whimpered.

"Melody?" Dave called out to her reaching for her. He tucked in a strand of her hair behind her ear.

"No." She mumbled. "Micah..." She called out again. It looks like she's in a daze. What did the nurses give her? She started moving more. I think she wants to get up.

"Do you want to get up?" I asked. She nodded her head lazily. I looked at the men for help.

Allan and Dave got up, helping her sit up on the bed. She looked wobbly... weak... the men had to support all her weight.

"Micah..." She called out again.

"What?" Daniel asked confused. Oh right. He doesn't know.

"Micah." She repeated, sounding out of breath. "Son." She said. "I need... need... find him."

"Whoa. You're not going anywhere." Allan said to her.

"Micah is gone Melody." Dave said at the same time with a helpless voice.

"No!" She said trying to be loud, but it came out weak. "Get me up." She ordered this time with some authority. They sighed, but helped her either which way, trying to get her on her feet. Her legs gave away. That broke my heart. I want to cry. I covered my mouth with my fingers and bit my lip. Daniel stayed put on his seat frowning looking sad, glancing at me. "I need... Micah." She said weakly. "He's not dead!"

"Melody..." Dave said.

"No dad... he's alive. He... he said..." She frowned. It looked like she was thinking of something. "No." She whispered before whimpering. She shook her head. "He was lying..." She continued whispering.