Chapter 20

Dependent

Melody's POV

I stared into his eyes. His beautiful brown eyes. I admired all his features. Even more now. Staring into them makes the ache minor. Their lips were the same. Their cheek bones. Everything. Micah was a replica of Chris. I wanted to run my hands through his hair and caress his face but I can't. I physically can't, having Chris next to me is the only thing keeping me from losing my shit.

I didn't want to think about it. Chris is my distraction. Being with Chris helps me block the pain.

Chris stared back into my eyes and every few minutes he'd kiss my forehead. He even caresses my stomach making more tears fall. He just wipes them away and kisses that spot.

We've been laying on the hospital bed for a while now. My nurse has come in to check on things, but other than that no one
has come in. I don't think they want to disturb us... more like disturb me.

Chris hasn't left my side. This whole time he's held onto me and I've clung myself onto him - as best as I can. My sobbing minimized with him next to me. I don't want him to leave. His warmth is comforting. He takes the pain away. He's the only one that can take it away. Looking into his eyes makes the unbearable pain... bearable. It's as if I were looking at Micah. At my Micah.

"How does your body feel?" Chris asked silently. I looked down at my legs and prepared myself to use my voice. I'm exhausted. My eyes have been wanting to close, but I haven't let them. I took in a deep breath.

I whimpered, not having the energy to talk. He directed my face to look at him.

"You'll get better soon with physical therapy. The nurse mentioned it. They should be moving you to another area soon." He said. I blinked. "You're tired?" He asked me. I blinked as my response. "Go to sleep. I'll be here when you wake up. I'm not going anywhere." He said to me. He added the last bit in a hurry after he saw that I frowned. My eyes started to water.

"Don't leave." I whispered out with the little energy I had left.

"I won't. I promise I'll be here." He said kissing my forehead. "Just make sure you wake up this time." He instructed. I sniffled and closed my eyes letting sleep take me.

....

I dont know what time it is. I don't know if I'm in the same room. All I know is that Chris is still next to me. He was snuggled up to me, sleeping. I took a deep breath in and closed my eyes picturing Micah. Tears started forming again. I opened my eyes and looked at Chris. I swallowed and prepared myself to talk.

"Chris." I called out, my voice sounding horrible. His eyes shot open, alarmed.

"Hey, you woke up." He said sounding pleased. He caresses my cheek. "Are you okay?" He asked concerned.

"Water." I said. He reached over and handed me the cup. I finished the whole thing. "Thanks."

"I'm going to call the nurse, alright?" He asked me, making sure I was ok with it. I gave a short nod.

I The nurse came in along with the doctor. They explained what went on throughout my coma. The accident. The time it will take for me to recover. Rehab. I didn't pay much attention to the details. I wish my parents were here for this. Tears began to form again. Chris dried them for me. The nurse asked if I was in pain. I shook my head. I'm not in pain physically. She took my vitals and did what she needed before leaving. They let me know I could start eating soon. I sighed and leaned onto Chris as much as I could. Soon they left.

"Parents?" I asked Chris hoping he'll understand what I mean to say.

"They went home. You slept for a good while. I'll send them a message right now to let them know you woke up. Your mom really wants to see you." He said with a smile.

"Brother?" I asked. Chris frowned, but quickly changed his expression to poker.

"I'm not sure..." He said.

"Call him?" I asked. I want to see him. Before Chris, Allan was my rock. He would always protect me.

"Yea... I'll call him." He said. "Want me to call the other two?" He asked referring to Jess and Daniel. I gave a small nod. "I'll do that. I'll be back." He said making me look at him alarmed. "Shh it's ok. I'll be right outside. I'm not going anywhere." I whimpered.

"No." I said. He can't leave. He can't. He sighed looking troubled which I didn't understand. It made me want to cry. Does he not wan to be by my side? Maybe he doesn't love me as much anymore...

"Ok I'll call them right here." He said. I swallowed and felt my bottom lip quiver. "Hey, I'm right here. I didn't think it would upset you. I'm sorry." He said kissing my forehead. He laid back down next to me and started making the calls. I accidentally fell back to sleep.