Chapter 35

I'm not

Jessica's POV

"Hey Miss Gonzalez." I greeted Melody with a sly smile. She laughed.

"What's up?" She asked. We're in the copy room again. Winter break is around the corner and nearly every teacher wants to get their assignments ready for the children to complete over the break.

"Need to make copies." I said showing her the mathematics booklet. She nodded.

"I'm almost done." She said. "Hey was that Daniel I saw earlier?" She asked.

"Yea, I told Rae he could help out with the new library they want to build." I explained. Rae, the principal, mentioned wanting to make a new library and I told her about Daniel being an architect. She called and set up the appointment to figure out a plan.

"Oh..." She said. She looked like she wanted to ask about Chris.

"I told Daniel to take care of it and not have Chris around here." I gave her the answer to her unspoken question. A sad look crossed her features but it was gone within a second. I sigh. She's in denial.

"Good." She said. I nodded. I don't know what I should do. I can't help but think back to my conversation with Chris.

"What are you doing here?" I asked Chris as soon as I entered Daniel's living room.

"Hey Jess." He greeted me.

"Hi." I replied. I scanned the room for Daniel and came up empty. "Where's Daniel?" I asked.

"Kitchen. He's making dinner." I nodded. "The rest are out." He said. I roll my eyes at him - I know that already. I spend most of my time here.

"Are you leaving soon?" I asked. I'm still angry at him. Him breaking up with Ugly Beth means nothing. Him dancing with Melody means nothing either. She made her final decision. She wants nothing to do with him. And I will fully support her decision.

"Actually... I wanted to talk to you." He said hesitantly. I glared at him as he looked at me pleadingly.

"If this is about Melody you can forget about it." I said. He stood up from the couch.

"Please." He begged. He looked torn. I don't know what to do. I don't want to talk to him about Melody. He hurt her. He hurt all of us with his decision. I always wanted them to end up together. They matched perfectly. But his decision destroyed any possible chance of them being together. "I'm begging you to at least hear me out before you kick me out." He said. I was in a dilemma.

"Fine. Say what you want to say, it's not going to change my mind about anything." I warned him. He nodded before sitting back down. His shoulders were tense. "Does Daniel know why you're here?" I asked. He nodded. "Is this part of your plan to get her back?" I asked. Chris sighed.

"You said you'd hear me out." He reminded me. I sighed. I'm probably going to regret this later. I sat on the opposite side of him.

"Fine. I'm hearing you out, what's up?" I asked. He let out a breath.

"I know you won't ever understand why I did what I did with Bethany-"

"Not the best way to start." I warned.

"You're not hearing me out." He said annoyed. I sighed and zipped my mouth for extra effect. "I get it. It obviously wasn't the best decision I've ever made, but I honestly didn't want to hurt her. I realize I messed up completely - I think I hurt Bethany more by prolonging it. I also hurt Melody and I didn't want that. I never wanted to hurt Melody. She's everything to me Jessica. I want to spend the rest of my life with her. I want to have more kids with her." I rose my hand, not wanting to interrupt him. He rolled his eyes at my gesture. "What?" He asked.