Chapter 29

"Indie get down!" Colton shouted. I screamed as I panicked, falling down to the ground and covering my head protectively. "Indie? Indie, baby! Are you ok?" Colton shouted to me from somewhere.

I breathed in a ragged breath, closing my eyes shut as another round of bullets headed our way.

"Indie!" Colton shouted desperately.

"I'm ok!" I shouted, basically lying through my teeth.

"Come out come out wherever you are!" The devil himself sang, a sick, sadistic smile on his face as he looked around him.

I couldn't believe it was him.

Without warning, Colton jumped up, knocking the gun out of his hand and him to the floor.

"Indie, run!" Colton yelled, circling him as he struggled to get up from the floor.

But I didn't. I couldn't.

Not with this bullet in me.

_______________An hour prior to the shooting_______________

"Hey." Colton said softly, nudging me. "You ok?" He asked.

I shook my head, looking back down as I unpacked the rest of our things.

"I don't know anymore." I muttered softly, thinking back to what had transpired only hours before. I furrowed my eyebrows, looking back up at Colton. "Do you think it was wrong of me to do that?"

Colton hesitated for an answer, most likely deciding on whether to agree with me, and be wrong, or tell me the truth, which will most likely hurt.

"The truth." I said softly. He sighed, sitting down on the bed we were sharing and patted the spot next to him. I complied, watching him rub his face, then turn to me with a reassuring smile.

"Look, you and I both know he was in the wrong. And I guess the things you said to him were kind of brutal, but that's life. You can't just do things and expect to get away with it." He said, shrugging as he rested his elbows on his knees.

"But...?" I asked.

"But," He began, eyebrows raised as he spoke. "You didn't exactly give him a chance in the slightest to explain himself. Don't get me wrong, I can't stand the guy. But just try and see things from his perspective. He probably saw that the only way to get to you and your brother was through your mom. Yes, it was a dog move, but that's exactly how desperate he is. Not to be guilt free, but to make amends." He looked at me, a softer expression on his face. "Indie, give him a chance."

I breathed out a long breath, looking down at the floor boards as I took in what Colton was saying.

Okay, so maybe I overreacted with the whole situation, but he gave me no choice!

'And you gave him no chance.' A little voice inside my head told me.

"I guess I'm just afraid of what he'll say." I muttered.

"But the burden of not knowing what his reasonings were will haunt you forever." Colton said softly.

I nodded, sighing as I made a decision.

"Where is he?" I asked, looking back up at Colton. He smiled, pointing at the door.

"He's on his way." I furrowed my eyebrows.

"How do you know?" I challenged. He smirked, raising an eyebrow.

"Advanced senses, babe." I let out a small chuckle, surprised at myself that I was laughing in such a situation. "Remember." Colton said as he stood. "Let him talk." He gave me a pointed look. I rolled my eyes, dismissing him with a wave of my hand.

He quickly leant down, planting a small kiss on my forehead and pinching my nose.

"See ya loser." He said, winking as I poked my tongue out at him. He paused as he opened the door, talking in hushed tones with whoever was there.

"Thanks." I clenched my fists tightly when I heard his voice.

Calm Indie. Stay calm. Listen to Colton.

"Hi." Dave greeted carefully, closing the door behind him. I nodded my head in acknowledgment, moving over on the bed as a sign for him to sit.

"I just wanted-" We both said at the same time. A ghost of a smile appeared on his face, as it did on mine.

"Sorry. You go." I said, obviously shocking him when no hostility entered my tone.

"I just wanted to say, that you were right. It was a low move to make, and I'm sorry." He paused, looking at the piercing on my brow. "I remember when you had that done. Your mother was so angry." He let out a small laugh.

'He gets off topic just as much as you do.'

I smiled slightly at the memory.

"You had the complete opposite reaction." I said, my smile widening the tiniest fraction.

"I wanted to get mine pierced." He laughed. I shook my head, laughing along with him.

"I'm sorry, but you would have looked like the biggest drama queen." I wheezed, just imagining the thought of Dave with an eyebrow piercing.

Our laughs died down a few moments later, smiles still etched on our faces.

"I don't think I was ever prepared to tell you the truth." He began. "But I guess I have to be now, right?" He asked, his smile fading.

"I know I didn't give you a chance to explain yourself, but I was just angry. It kind of blurred my rational side." I said, scratching my arm. "So, if I talk while you're explaining, just tell me to shut up."

He let out a hearty laugh, shaking his head.

"There's the Indie I know." He said happily.

It was almost like everything was back to normal. Like he never left.

"I won't tell you to shut up." He added, a smile back on his face. He sighed, staring at the floor for a few moments, before opening his mouth to speak. "You know, when you hated me, the feeling was kinda mutual. I know that sounds horrible; a father hating his own daughter? It was just...your actions infuriated me. I really did want you to see how much I had changed. I wanted you to see that we could still be father and daughter. But you didn't want that, did you? You already had this imprint in your mind of what kind of person I was. You had installed that I was some horrible father that left his children and never wanted anything to do with them anymore. Like I didn't even bother to try and come in contact with you. But I did bother. I tried calling everyday, but somehow...you managed to block me. You never answered any of my letters, my calls...texts. Indie, I tried everyday since I left to stay in contact with you and your brother, but both of you just tuned me out. Like I didn't exist any more. Like I was nobody, I didn't even matter. So eventually, I just gave up. I didn't bother calling you or writing any more letters, because I knew for a fact that you wouldn't even look at them. Indie, I may be the bad guy here, but you never even gave me the chance to explain myself, did you?" His voice was so...hurt.

It made me feel absolutely horrible. Maybe he wasn't the bad guy here.

Maybe I was.